no_republicans As a Latina and a US citizen who votes at every election, I will invest time and effort to tell my family members who are also US citizens and voters, to remember what Republicans did today when the majority of them voted against Judge Sonia Sotomayor.

It’s an absolute insult to Latinos in this country – especially to those of us who have been here for generations – to hear Republicans say that the only things we care about are “jobs and the economy” and that therefore the GOP won’t lose Latino voters after voting against Sotomayor.

If Latinos cared only about jobs and the economy, we wouldn’t have a Latina like Sotomayor be devoted to the law. We wouldn’t have a Latino mayor in Los Angeles. We wouldn’t have other Latinos in office or running FOR office.

To say that we only care about “jobs and the economy” is a stereotype based on the view that Latinos are only here to slave for others. Yes, there are many Latinos who – like MOST other Americans – care about jobs and the economy. But, we also care deeply about the war, the environment, the justice system, and politics.

We have a lot of work to do as Latinos to build more alliances with Progressive Democrats of all colors and united defeat the fascist Republican Party. The ideology and backwardness that these conservatives hold is hypocritical, absurd, ignorant, racist, sexist, homophobic, ageist, classist, bigoted, and dangerous for America.

Fellow Progressives and Latinos, on the next election, a huge “NO” to those who voted against Sotomayor:

Barrasso (R-WY)
Roberts (R-KS)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Wicker (R-MS)

26 Responses to List Of Republicans Who Voted Against Sonia Sotomayor On Thursday, Plus Personal Rant

1. -2 Vote -1 Vote +1John Cates
    August 6, 2009 at 2:21 pm

I hope every one of them loses, and I have voted Republican for a lot of years.Congratulations to Barach O’Bama for the smartest political appointment
    in American political history…. probably assured his reelection in 2012….

Keep listening to the devisive rhetoric of the Limbaugh right… He’ll get his
    millions, don’t know what you’ll get.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Tom
      August 7, 2009 at 5:48 am

The republicans who voted against her should be praised. She is an activist left wing judge who will try to re-write laws from her bench. She will use international law rather than the consitution to dictate what should be doen in America and that is not her job. As a member of the Supreme Court she should be upholding the Constitution above all else.

In my opinion she is a insult to Latinos everywhere. She should not be praised byt he Latino community but rather they should be ashamed that someone better did not beat her to the position.

Heaven help this nation as she puts us all in the toilet.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Sean
        August 7, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Its sad that all people see is black, white or latino. She is a bad judge, plain and simple and she shouldn’t be on the USSC. If she were white, they would have sent her home as they laughed at her. Sadly enough, we are stuck with this activist judge for the rest of her life. I can’t wait to see how bad she screws Amerika.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Matt
      August 10, 2009 at 12:33 pm

It appears that our only hope is that maybe…MAYBE one day, us proud, “right-winged”, republicans(who according to the media {except Fox} is a rich, white, male) will be able to survive the extreme liberal swing and survive the socialist nation these democrats try to push on us. Europe did it…or at least that’s the rumor. And speaking of Rush making his millions….what about Al Gore raking in the money for the…what does he call it? Global warming right?

2. Vote -1 Vote +1Dorian Staten
    August 6, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Those that voted against her have shot themselves in the foot. I’m with you, John. I hope their decision is detrimental to their careers.

3. -3 Vote -1 Vote +1Marcos
    August 6, 2009 at 2:45 pm

My Comments keep being deleted this is not news that makes sense its the state run media with democratic strategist writers that cant even validate their points to highschool graduates.

4. -3 Vote -1 Vote +1Carrie Cambron
    August 6, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I will work and donate money to defeat as many republicans who voted no as I can. For sure Richard Burr in my home state of NC. I have never seen so many white men in one room so threatened because there are people of other races more intelligent than them. Their fear mongering and calling Sonja Sotomayer and Obama racists is just not gonna work. Why don’t you embrace the changes in our culture and while you are still in the senate, try to do something of good for humanity instead of always trying to tear us apart. Your days are numbered, people are sick of it.

• Vote -1 Vote +1semperloco
      August 6, 2009 at 3:32 pm

While you oppose those who oppose your racial choice, you support those who want to send your elderly to counseling every five years to decide whether they should be euthanized, and blame Bush while they raise the Federal Deficit to levels that are beyond the comprehension of all but a few mathematicians. They want people reported that speak against them and denigrate opponents instead of answering with substance. Get an answer to the issues. By the way, I’m white so disregard me.

• -2 Vote -1 Vote +1Informed
        August 6, 2009 at 7:29 pm

How can you even bring up substance, when you are to ignorant or lazy to read the portion in the health bill that deals with living wills. You listen to right wing radio wingnuts and take it for the gospel. Do yourself a favor read the portion in the bill starting on page 924 and if you can read you will find out everything you are being told is a lie, but that probably does not matter because you probably also believe the President is an illegal. Ignore the fact that Justice Sotmayor has more experience than the last three republican nominees combined and was not born to privilege and prep schools. And by the way it was the republicans that erased a surplus and ran the economy into the ground. For once take some responsibility and I did not even vote for Obama, but I will next time!

• +1 Vote -1 Vote +1Sean
          August 7, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Listen Mr. Uninformed. There was NEVER any surplus. However, there was trillions in debt. They counted the money that was not spent from social security as surplus. It is an off budget expenditure, but they continued to use it and then left a bunch of IOU’s in the lock box. If you think there was ever a surplus then you know nothing about our government. And Bush had to deal with a recession, 2 wars and 911. He was far from perfect, but at least use your brain before you throw him under the bus.

5. +1 Vote -1 Vote +1Freddy
    August 6, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I am a first generation American of Dominican parents. I believe in God, limited government, free market, freedom, a strong military, honor and country. I am appalled that just because I am a “Latino”, I should turn my face to Sotomayor’s racism and general victim mentality…as her other liberal counterparts. I worked hard to put myself through college, be debt free and continue to live the “American Dream”. The democrat party, Sotomayor included, thinks that big government, or better yet – trusting without question your elected representative in government, is the answer to everything. I vehemently disagree with the democrat ideology which includes: Godlessness, hypocrisy, absurdity, ignorance, racism, sexism, homophobic agenda, classism, and bigotry. THIS is dangerous for America.

I am sure that any hard working American or legal-immigrant will believe in this as well.

I praise all of the republicans who voted “NO” to sotomayor.

• -4 Vote -1 Vote +1Laura
      August 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Absurtity, ignorance, racism, sexism, homophobic agenda, classism, and bigotry are ALL straight out of the Republicans playbook. Are you sure you are on the right side of the fence? Last I checked the Dems were for gay marriage, equal rights for women and other races, and end to hate crimes due to bigotry, racism or anyting equal. Are you serious? Maybe the Dominican misses you. Sure you don’t want to go back? I will pay for the ticket. Beeeecause we sure don’t need anymore citizen wannabees who have NO idea what they are talking about. Are you the least bit observant? Really….you are college educated? That is shocking. And you can really read?

6. Vote -1 Vote +1Carrie Cambron
    August 6, 2009 at 3:24 pm

republican says: You don’t know what your talking about it. You can tell you are a typical republican who only listens to the negative talking points the republicans cram down republicans throats. On her 19 years on the bench, she had two cases overturned. But in republicans minds that is continual, typical sound bite response. Why don’t you read and get the facts and turn off Fox news sound bites….

7. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1Sam Crumpton
    August 6, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Those nasty Republicans should not have counted her ties to La Raza, the fact that 60% of her opinions were overturned by higher courts, or the fact that she thought she was wiser because of what she was. We should pigeon-hole people by race and pick our candidates that way. It worked for the President. Ability is such a difficult thing to measure anyway. They couldn’t have found a more qualified Hispanic to run, could they? Aren’t they all recipients of Affirmative Action? No? Then why is Sonia Sotomayor such a rallying figure?

8. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1John Meyers
    August 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm

You all are crazy thinking this woman is any good. Do you realize that the Constitution are guaranteed rights that States cannot abridge? And this La Raza/La Reconquista/Belizean Grove basket case is completely for taking away your 2nd Amendment right and giving the decisions to the states? Do you realize that state law enforcement is literally being fused to the federal government and her decision is just a proxy for the federal government to take away your 2nd amendment right? Thats just one issue, some of her more secretive meetings with international parties violated the Logan Act. As far as I’m considered all the Senators who voted for this “it” should be Baker Acted before they can do anymore damage.

9. +3 Vote -1 Vote +1bob
    August 6, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I hope every republican politician who voted FOR sotomayor will be ousted from their seat. More proof that there are no separate Democratic & Republican parties anymore….it’s just one big political soap opera controlled by big money. I love being an AMERICAN citizen where I need to speak spanish to order lunch…..i miss my country!

10. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1Marcos
    August 6, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Every Democrat that votes for the healt refore againts their constituants will are the ones who will be ousted out of their seats.

11. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1Tim Ledstat
    August 6, 2009 at 9:11 pm

You guys do all the talking and voting you need to… I found your silly blog looking for the list of Republicans that voted FOR her so that I can publish it and vote against them… She will be the worst justice for a while and not because she is Latino… but for her voting record… I am disappointed they did not filibuster like the democrats did Bush’s justices… She was a horrible choice that has nothing to do with Race…

• Vote -1 Vote +1Pablo
      August 7, 2009 at 1:47 am

I’m actually looking for a list of Republicans who voted for her. Any thoughts on where one is published? Cheers.

12. +3 Vote -1 Vote +1Lopez
    August 7, 2009 at 7:17 am

I am a conserative latino. I do not support Sotomayor. She does not represent my values in any way. A judge should be a “humble servant” not one with attitude. God help our great country from those like Sotomayor and the facist liberials who are seeking to destroy our freedom and way of democracy. Why is there not a list of those rebublicans that voted for her? How about the blue dog dems that voted against her, are there any?

13. -1 Vote -1 Vote +1DecoratedCombatVet
    August 7, 2009 at 9:52 am

I don’t understand why having BIG insurance companys decide your healthcare fate, is better than having a public “option”.. and I emphasize the word “option”. BIG insurance companies currently discriminate against all Americans by making unilateral decisions about the kind of care you receive, what care they will or will not cover, raising your premiums or canceling your coverage altogether. In our case, we are willing and able to pay for quality healthcare, but the BIG insurance companys have deemed my wife to be “uninsurable”, so we pray everyday for a public “option”, for my wife, and for the millions of Americans that don’t have healthcare. It is SHAMEFULL that even one American doesn’t have healthcare, let alone 49 million.

14. +3 Vote -1 Vote +1Dave
    August 7, 2009 at 10:25 am

Isn’t getting angry with a Senator who doesn’t vote for someone of your race, and you getting angry solely because she is your race, an act of racism???? How can you not see the irony in this?

ps… Thank you Lopez and the others. Maybe one day we will all judge people based on the content of their character instead of whatever subgroups to which we “belong”. Ms.Bernal obviously has some evolving and modernizing to do.

15. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1notamused
    August 7, 2009 at 6:36 pm

oh get over yourself. The republicans had the first Hispanic SCOTUS nominee and the democrats voted him down. Sotomayor has a major issue with judicial activism from the bench and that is the issue. When over 60% of your judgements are overturned by the SCOTUS how does that make you qualified for the SCOTUS? And let;s not forget though, Sotomayor was appointed to her federal seat BY Bush 41 so get over your republican racial BS.

16. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1MsLatina
    August 8, 2009 at 9:15 am

I’m tired of hearing about how Latinos should support Sotomayor simply because she is Hispanic. I am also a Latina woman and I have greatly opposed her nomination, because I do not support her beliefs. Being Hispanic does not make someone qualified for the position of supreme court justice, and frankly, her views on law and policy are very disturbing. What is disappointing is that the Hispanic community is rallying around her because of her ethnic background rather than standing back and discussing what she believes. There are many hispanic leaders in this world that we would never support because of their beliefs (Castro, Chavez), so why should any of us support Sotomayor because she is hispanic, rather than on what she stands for? I think the Hispanic community needs to wake up and start looking beyond Sotomayor’s ethinicity to her values.

17. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1MsLatina
    August 8, 2009 at 9:17 am

Also, thanks for the list of senators who voted against Sotomayor. This wise Latina woman gives them my upmost accolades. Good job, Senators, for standing against the tide!!!!

18. +1 Vote -1 Vote +1Roberto
    August 14, 2009 at 4:07 pm

This opinion column simply shows the ignorance of those who constantly bring race into a debate. The racist party (democrat) was on the side of slavery, was on the side of segregation, was on the side of the kkk, and is now attacking european americans on a daily basis. Nothing new here. So they get a racist judge pushed into the supreme court to be the lap dog of a racist president. Why is anyone surprised?

And yes, I came to this country legally. And no, i don’t shout brown power like this retard who wrote the article.