Tea Party In D.C. Reveals Severity Of Right Wing Ideology

NEWS JUNKIE POST Exclusive
Reporting from Washington, D.C.

Tens of thousands of people marched down Pennsylvania Avenue to the US Capitol. Promoted by Fox News Channel Commentator Glenn Beck and former Speaker of the House, Dick Armey’s organization Freedom Works.

They call themselves Patriots. People carried replicas of the yellow Gadsden Flag depicting a rattlesnake reading “Don’t Tread on Me.” They referred to the Boston Tea Party of 1773. David Rudin from High Point, NC said the country is moving in a direction where a revolution might be necessary (video above).

They came to Washington to speak out against President Obama’s efforts to reform health care, stimulate the economy, and bail out Wall Street. They say the government programs are too expensive and bringing the US to a path to socialism and communism.

Mike Mirachi brought his family from Pennsylvania. He said President Obama is “too black to be President.”

Signs of support for Fox News were abundant in the crowd. Dozens of people surrounded the Fox television truck as Glenn Beck broadcast live. People stood around CNN’s truck protesting their coverage, which they called the “Communist News Network.”

Many have signed onto Glenn Beck’s 912 movement which is intended to bring the country back to the time the day after September 11th. Their symbol is the Revolutionary War serpent divided into different sections to represent values and principles.

Repecca Koons, a 912er, is from Kentucky. She says Obama’s agenda is “Hitleresque.”

This group of 912ers wanted our picture and contact information after the interview so they could “find us” if they didn’t like what we reported. We felt threatened and walked away. But they followed us.

President Obama was not the only means of frustration, but Democrats in Congress too. Disdain for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Representative Barney Frank was portrayed through pictures characterizing them as jokers and Pinocchio. One man said Nancy Pelosi “should be water-boarded.”

Leigh Ann Caldwell is based in Washington, D.C. and reports for Free Speech Radio News. You can listen to FSRN news by clicking here. Robin Bell also worked on this report.

39 Responses to Tea Party In D.C. Reveals Severity Of Right Wing Ideology

1. Vote -1 Vote +1Sharon Broderick
    September 13, 2009 at 4:32 am

I am appalled by the portrait of our nation that these people are presenting and think rational people need to do something but what……

• Vote -1 Vote +1Dolores Meier
      September 13, 2009 at 8:16 am

I am appalled at the portrait our government has portrayed to the world. I could care less that you are appalled…. if you dont see the problem (and stand up against it) you are appalling. My children deserve better. Wake up!!! I came from a family of ten children… was a registered nurse at 19 years old… worked and paid my way through graduate school and graduated with ‘highest distinction’. I am a doctor who works in a non-profit clinic for handicapped children. I am married and raising two children. Go to church regularly, pay my taxes, donate to charitable causes and volunteer on a regular basis. I drove 620 miles with my husband to attend this tea party in DC (paid my own way, as did all the others). I stood shoulder to shoulder with over 1 million (yes, over one million… i was there… check out the aerial views of the event) of the most well mannered, polite Americans I have ever met. If that appalls you… too damn bad!!!

• -3 Vote -1 Vote +1John
        September 14, 2009 at 12:11 am

Dolores, you are so typical. You hate people and anyone that has a different opinion from you. Tens of thousands dear is NOT a million. You say you don’t care what that someone was appalled. Why should I care if youa re appalled. You are disgusting and pathetic. Do you care about that. How very sad that you hate your country and the democratrically elected President.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Dolores Meier
          September 14, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Gosh John, I’ve read and re-read my passage several times and cannot see where I insinuated that I ‘hated’ anyone…. let alone those whose opinions differ from my own. My only point was that I have and do live a respectful life, do as much good for my family and community as anyone could ever expect and have no intention of giving a hoot about whether the ‘somethin’ for nothing’ crowd approves of my behavior…. I did not begin the judgemental dialogue but rather was defending the right of myself and others to challenge a government that I believe is mis-spending MY money. You sir, may do whatever you wish with you own money. Why does it anger you so that I don’t want you spending my money?? Alas, I shall not be posting further and trust that anyone reading this thread can surely discern which contributor is hateful, disgusting and pathetic. Good day.

• +3 Vote -1 Vote +1johndan
      September 14, 2009 at 6:02 am

I am appalled by myopic elitist enablers like you. So what is the portrait that you protest of? Do these people not have the right to be appalled by the portrait that the totalitarian legislative and executive branches are presenting?

• +1 Vote -1 Vote +1jontv
        September 14, 2009 at 6:59 am

I would like to see just one person offer some rational proof of these claims. Anyone can say the president or the Congress is “totalitarian”. But without some kind of justification, it’s impossible to take that seriously. I’m not a huge fan of Congress lately, either, but to call them “totalitarian” shows an utter disregard for history and the definition of that word. I think people are just afraid and grasping at whatever words they think will scare other people.

2. -2 Vote -1 Vote +1Rob
    September 13, 2009 at 5:30 am

I am teacher and consider myself to be a fairly normal person, but I sure wish I could have been in Washington to support the Tea Party conservatives trying to take this contry back from the brink of socialism. I sure don’t trust Obama.

3. +3 Vote -1 Vote +1Doc
    September 13, 2009 at 5:40 am

I am sure this article is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Sounds like bias propaganda to me. I have been to these sorts of events lately and have seen nothing but upset but respectfull people. The most disrespect I have seen has come from many media outlets.

4. -3 Vote -1 Vote +1the_moll
    September 13, 2009 at 6:18 am

Have the guts to print my comment?

5. +4 Vote -1 Vote +1Don
    September 13, 2009 at 6:44 am

Looks like the author decided to go and find the most extreme people in the crowd. Kinda like the news media tries to find the most ignorant trailer park resident after a tornado.

6. -1 Vote -1 Vote +1Alexis
    September 13, 2009 at 7:17 am

I was there! I would go agin! There was over 1.5 million of us there! Most of us are just normal working people. I didn’t have a sign….I had an American flag!

7. +4 Vote -1 Vote +1Doug
    September 13, 2009 at 7:34 am

Wow, way to pick out the bad apples. Most of the people in the crowd were ordinary, peaceful, and upset demonstrators. All this does is distract from the REAL issues that need to be talked about…this is ridiculous. I was at the rally yesterday. I am a 24 year old middle class white male with a college education; I’m currently in grad school. I represent NONE of the people of which the media, including you, is choosing to portray this event.

I betcha if I go to any moveon.org demonstration I’ll find plenty of hateful and radical signs, but does that mean I should lump the entire rally as a joke or sideshow?

8. -2 Vote -1 Vote +1Doug
    September 13, 2009 at 7:36 am

Hey Sharon, don’t fall for it. Sure, there are some extremists in this camp. You know as well as I do that when you get 70,000 people together you’re going to draw some kooks, and that’s what happened. But instead of using them to represent the entire rally, how about listening to those actually there? How about listening to those whose livelihood doesn’t depend on selling a good story?

9. +1 Vote -1 Vote +1carly
    September 13, 2009 at 7:40 am

The Tea Party is now the Republican party. Time for moderate Republicans to consider if they really still belong. There are related posts at http://iamsoannoyed.com/?page_id=588

10. +7 Vote -1 Vote +1Don
    September 13, 2009 at 9:04 am

Tea Party is NOT the Republican party, if republicans had stuck to thier core values the last decade, there wouldn’t be any tea parties.

The Republican party has become overrun with RINO’s like Olympia Snow and Orin Hatch. We are looking for politicians to strip the power from Washington and restore it to the states to make corruption more difficult.

• -1 Vote -1 Vote +1jontv
      September 14, 2009 at 7:52 am

Actually, corruption would love it if all the power were in the states. There are corporations with economies bigger than many states. You need a powerful federal government to regulate a corporation that is bigger than a state.

Look, I’m not a big fan of central government, either. But abolishing it is not going to solve our problems. We need better government: the size of it is not the main issue.

11. +3 Vote -1 Vote +1Patrick Carroll
    September 13, 2009 at 9:45 am

Looks to me like you cherry-picked about a dozen nuts out of two million ordinary people.

12. +4 Vote -1 Vote +1Ace Tomato
    September 13, 2009 at 10:03 am

The fact that the headline uses “tea baggers” says it all. There is zero chance this writer would be unbiased.

Our family attended our local tea parties (midwest) but couldn’t travel to DC for this one. Every tea party I have attended has been full of normal people – not all of us coming to protest for exactly the same specific issue – but the common issue is anger at government bailouts and overspending – anger at legislation being rammed through (or attempts to do this) without adequate review by congress and without the campaign promised public review.
    We’re tired of being called racist for questioning our government’s growth and overextension of constitutional powers.
    We’re tired of every criticism of the Obama administration getting a shriek about how much they hated George Bush or how much he spent (it seems the liberals don’t understand that the federal government is SUPPOSED to spend money on military actions but has no authority to take over health care).
    Sure, some nuts will turn out for all protests. But I guess you didn’t notice the thousands of ordinary people (including all ethnicities) there with them.

• +2 Vote -1 Vote +1jontv
      September 14, 2009 at 7:55 am

Okay, you say no government health care — so how do you suggest we fix this mess we’re in? I assume you’re not a big fan of people going bankrupt and dying because health care is unaffordable. What would you do about it?

• Vote -1 Vote +1debra
      September 15, 2009 at 9:26 am

Try not to forget the bail outs and financial ruin began with the Bush administration. He and his people set this horror in motion. Our government had it’s largest expansions during Bush part 2 and Reagan. Cleaning up after the last 8 years is an exercise in no good deed goes unpunished……

13. -2 Vote -1 Vote +1Marion Morrison
    September 13, 2009 at 11:42 am

I am willing to believe that some, if not all, protesters were potentially dangerous wingnuts (every group, right or left, has them) but I am consistently disturbed by these people and their apparent agenda of disruption for a duly elected president who has not had a year yet in office to undo the Dubya effect. Shame on you people!! What happened to America!! Can’t we get over this ridiculous divide?? What I hear from these people repeatedly are vague statements about “communism,” “socialism,” “government spending” and the like. I’m unconvinced that any of these people have any grip on reality. Whether you believe it or not, you all sound like radical, whiney, unhappy, self-congratulating wingnuts. History will look back at the teabaggers as a bunch radical and destructive windbags. And, by the way, you do not represent the real Republican Party or the average American – I spoke with my 72 year old mother on the phone the other night; she is so disgusted with what she perceives to be right wing in America that she switched to the Democratic party.

Don’t deceive yourselves, teabaggers, you are the last desperate and pathetic gasp of the radical conservative movement in America. And thank God, the neocon death rattle can’t come soon enough.

Go Obama!!

14. -5 Vote -1 Vote +1jdg
    September 13, 2009 at 12:07 pm

you know what’s funny..99% of these tea bag folks vote…their family votes, their friends vote, their coworkers vote.

hence…who would you rely come election day.

• -1 Vote -1 Vote +1John
      September 14, 2009 at 12:20 am

THis post doesn’t even make sense. Yes, they vote, and the President was elected by Democrats who vote. WTF?

• -2 Vote -1 Vote +1Jack
        September 14, 2009 at 2:24 pm

No, he was elected by independents who thought he might actually be smart, worldly, and young enough to do what was right based on analysis and not be ruled by party dogma.

Independents who will not support his him or his congress a second time

15. -2 Vote -1 Vote +1Marion Morrison
    September 13, 2009 at 12:47 pm

“all those left wing nuts who protest the world bank, IMF, capitalism, war, etc aren’t even registered (maybe ACORN registered). they don’t pay taxes, they don’t have a job, they don’t have friends, maybe warcraft friends.”

Huh? This is some crazy, adolescent weirdness here folks, delivered with all the civility, muddle-headedness and inarticulateness of a true wingnut in the making.

I do have to wonder, jdg, why Obama won so handily.

And the intellect behind this comment probably votes himself. This is a perfect example of why America should fear the teabag brownshirts.

16. -1 Vote -1 Vote +1Kate
    September 13, 2009 at 2:14 pm

The Million Moron March: Racism’s Finest Hour.

Rupert Murdoch is laughing all the way to the bank.

17. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1912er
    September 13, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I was at the tea party in D.C. I met many of the people and observed many others. This is not a fair representation of the people who were there. Period. I was extremely impressed with the number of informed people who were there simply to state that an oath was taken to defend the Constitution and that they were going to hold the president to that oath. They also wanted to tell him that we can’t spend money we don’t have. This was the main thrust if you actually asked around. It is true, however, that you could find the nuts if you looked for them. I am sorry you had this experience, but this report is not representative of the movement.

18. +6 Vote -1 Vote +1Melissa
    September 13, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I was there (and I paid my own way and drove 9 hours from Michigan to be a part of this) and I’m upset that this event is being portrayed as right wing extremist. I wore a shirt saying “Libertarian: pro-choice on everything” and there were so many other independents as well as republican and democrats, who aren’t happy with their own party Yeah there were a few nut jobs out there, but but you get a couple crazies in any crowd, and they were few and far between. All in all this was not a right vs left, liberal vs conservative thing. It was about real people trying to stand up for their rights and remind our elected officials that we out them in power.

19. +3 Vote -1 Vote +1Mary Ann Kreitzer
    September 13, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Wow!….What a bunch of racists cheering for black speakers! Maybe they were too far back in the crowd to realize the rapper was black. And the other black speakers…maybe they were really whites in blackface. Yeah, that must be it.

If you want to find wingnuts take a look at self-professed commie Van Jones and some of the other unvetted czars in the Obama administration. Oh…and as for brownshirts…check out the union thugs who beat up a conservative black man at the Carnahan Town Hall in St. Louis. He dared to leave the liberal plantation… bad boy not listening to half white massah.

As for incivility, Obama demonizes everyone who disagrees with his government takeover agenda. It’s a page out of Saul Alinsky’s community organizing manual which says to identify and enemy and freeze him. Not working so well these days. Too many people are wising up.

Saturday was a red, white, and blue day. The atmosphere was like a fourth of July picnic. I loved every minute of it!

As for “disruption of a duly elected president”, sign up for Civics 101. Did you ever hear of the first amendment? You have a short memory if you can’t recall anti-war marches, the million man march, feminist marches, gay/lesbian marches, the march for life, etc. Read the Constitution and the founding documents. Protesting is as American as apple pie and we have a right to take our grievences to the hill as well as to the ballot box.

I’m looking forward to the elections in November to see Virginia throw out the liberals and elect a conservative state ticket. It’s not about party. Find me a conservative, pro-life democrat (ha,ha,ha,ha……) and I’ll support him or her. As for RINOs, I write my own name on the ballot if that’s the choice.

20. -1 Vote -1 Vote +1vwcat
    September 13, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Teabaggers are protesting things they don’t even know about. They talk about socialism and fascism and have no clue what it is. They believe an infotainer like Beck is God. The man has said himself he doesn’t believe half of what he is spouting and yet these clueless people blindly believe every word.
    It’s like Elmer Gantry come to life with the huskster preaching garbage and the ignorant blindly following.
    Do these people even know that it was Bush and not Obama who bailed out the banks and the auto industry????
    Do they even know who began using Czars??? Reagan!!!!!!!!!!!! And do they know why Obama is forced to do so? Because these people’s republican tools in the senate are blocking Obama’s nominees, who passed thru their hearings with flying colors and now cannot do their job. Obama cannot run every dept himself. So he is forced to go this route because the republicans would rather play immature brat games.
    Teabaggers are pimples.
    And an embarrassment to this country. Their ignorance knows no bounds.

• -2 Vote -1 Vote +1John
      September 14, 2009 at 12:22 am

vwcat, great info. But they won’t listen, they are scared because the hate and fear-mongers like Limbaugh and Beck and O’Reilly rule their lives. They stop thinking for themselves and become a mob of hate. The real demons in all this are those right-wing haters on the radio and TV. Fox news and their minions. Sad really isn’t it. ANd yes, Ignorance seems to reign supreme.

21. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1Bill
    September 14, 2009 at 5:38 am

When one views a blog and post like this, with the visceral reaction to average Americans exercising their right to protest, one becomes very aware of just how afraid the left wing extremists are of average Americans. The extremists on the left had hoped that this would be their shining moment, changing the country to socialism (at least) while using the subterfuge of a charismatic president. A president, I might add, they believed could not be challenged because any challenge could be painted as racism.

But these average Americans are not falling for that. They see through what is happening and the are reacting to protect the positive heritage of this country. So, sorry guys and gals. I know you wanted the easy route to imposing your views on the majority of hard working, moderately minded Americans. But this attempt and all the others at painting protesters as people with extreme views is not going to work. The momentum is on our side, the cat is out of the bag, the genie out of the bottle, and 2010 will be an ugly year for both Democrats and Republicans that do not listen and respond.

• Vote -1 Vote +1jontv
      September 14, 2009 at 1:14 pm

You seem like a reasonable person. I hope you can understand that millions of Americans who are “liberal” are also reasonable people. I have no objection to peaceful protest. I do worry about some of the violent messages that are coming across. At the same time, I realize that the media likes conflict and so they are giving the violent-seeming people more attention than they deserve.

This stuff about “socialism” is just not ringing true to me. I see no socialist agenda in Obama. You can call almost any government action “socialist”: libraries, parks, roads, the military. All are example of people solving social problems through government. Not all problems can or should be solved by government, but some must be. I think we could have a better discussion about these issues if everyone would take a deep breath and stop trying to scare each other with words like socialism and totalitarianism.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Penny Dreadful
      September 16, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Please stop with the projection. During 8 years of the Bush administration, none of these people complained about the increasing deficit or the increase in government size.

You’re afraid and angry because a Democrat was elected. Admit it. The “average Americans” decided that they did not want your policies and voted you out. Deal with it or prepare for more losses next year.

PS: Please do not use the term “socialism” unless you understand what it means.

22. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1jontv
    September 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Okay, so there has been a lot of complaining about government and liberals and socialists and so forth on this site. The protesters are being insulted and demonized and not taken seriously, we’re being told. Maybe so.

Here is a real-live liberal trying to engage in conversation. I am not insulting anyone or making any assumptions. I agree that that’s not helpful. I’m trying to better. I have made a number of attempts to respond thoughtfully to people.

What am I getting in return? Nothing but a handful of thumb’s down clicks. Even when I just ask reasonable question: thumb’s down.

So, do you folks actually want to interact, or not?

• Vote -1 Vote +1Kate
      September 14, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I don’t think they can interact.

First, many of these people are getting paid to post these comments. Notice that there is a theme to each event and subsequent right-wing posts. This time, the theme is “normal” “respectful” “professional” people attended 9-12. And some of the posts seem as if they are written by the same person, just tweaked slightly to appear different.

Second, many protesters have not one clue what they are protesting. They are paying the lowest taxes in 77 years, at the same rate they paid under Bush, but they are protesting high taxes? Obama has been in office for nine months, but his administration is responsible for a recession that officially began in November 2007? And a budget deficit that began accumulating in January 2001?

And third, those manipulating these poor people to do their dirty work for them are the insurance, finance, oil and pharmaceutical companies, along with people like Rupert Murdoch and Dick Armey.

• Vote -1 Vote +1jontv
        September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm

You appear to be right. But nobody can say I never tried.

• Vote -1 Vote +1craig
          September 20, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I was there and am very clear as to why . So far my govt. has taken over ten thousand dollars from me . Do you think I could afford insurance with that money ? Or , if I had half of it we wouldnt need cash for clunkers because I would buy a new car . just in case your interested.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Penny Dreadful
        September 16, 2009 at 8:38 pm

They did not have a problem with George W. Bush driving up the deficit. They didn’t complain until One of the Other Guys was voted into office.

The pendulum swung as far right as it was going to get and now it’s swinging back the other way. They know this. Expect them to get angrier and angrier as they are left behind.