Fort Hood Massacre:A Symptom Of The Madness Of War

091010-A-8858-149

Latest Update at 6:50 PM/ US (PST):

According to the commander of Fort Hood, the suspect in the shooting is alive, wounded, and in stable condition said Army Lieutenant General Robert Cone. Major Hasan is a US citizen of Jordanian descent. He is a psychiatrist who previously worked at the Walter Reed Army medical center. Hasan was never deployed outside the US, but he was scheduled to be deployed in Iraq.

Earlier:

Today, gunmen in military uniforms went on a shooting rampage in Fort Hood Texas. The 12 men killed in the largest US inland military base should be considered casualties of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Eleven soldiers plus one of the gunman are dead, and 31 are wounded with 2 in critical condition. The slain gunman was identified as Major Malik Nadal Hasan. Two other soldiers have been detained as suspects for questioning.

The soldiers killed were filling out paper processing to go to Iraq or Afghanistan. According to MSNBC, Major Hasan was due to be redeployed in Iraq. Fort Hood happens to be the base of the Warrior Combat Stress Reset Program, which is designed to help soldiers deal with combat stress issues and post traumatic stress disorder. It is obvious that the Warrior Combat Stress Reset Program failed to work for Major Hasan.

President Obama called the shootings “a tragic an horrific outburst of violence”.

“These are men and women who have made the selfless and courageous decision to risk, and at times give, their lives to protect the rest of us on a daily basis. It is difficult enough when we lose these brave Americans in battles overseas, but it is horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil,” said President Obama in a news conference statement.

President Obama, even so he is the Commander in Chief, has no military experience whatsoever. If it did, he would understand that the stress generated by either killing people or getting shot at is fundamentally unnatural, and can easily trigger psychotic episodes such as the one that Major Hasan likely experienced today.

What is “horrific” Mr.Obama, is that you have maintained this country in a state of endless wars. What is “tragic”, Mr Obama, is that you are contemplating sending 40,000 more Americans in Afghanistan, knowing that a lot of them will come back in body bags. What is “tragic & horrific”, Mr. Obama, is the fact that your are pursuing the same war mongering policies than the ones of your predecessor. This tragedy today, should be a wake-up call.

11 Responses to Fort Hood Massacre:A Symptom Of The Madness Of War

1. Brian November 5, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Sounds like Gilbert Mercier has issues with Obama and is using this tragic news as a platform to trash Obama for something he did nothing to create. From all the factual information I have seen is actually trying his best to bring an end to. Someone doesn’t have to have served to know PTSD exists and have a full understanding of it.

• Gilbert Mercier
      Gilbert Mercier November 5, 2009 at 6:26 pm

I don’t have issues with Obama as a person. I have issues with the war mongering policies that he is not ending. I have issues with the fact that he is likely to send more troops to Afghanistan to prop up a corrupt regime and get more men killed in a war that is not winnable. I am suspecting, Brian, that just like Obama you have no military experience.

2. Brian November 5, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Check the facts, he was never deployed, no Iraq, no Afghanistan, so that would mean no PTSD. So far there was only one shooter, MAJ Hasan, who is alive…. Nice bias article though. The Military is all crazy…. Right? I like how you have directed comments towards President Obama, I’m sure he will read this.

• Gilbert Mercier
      Gilbert Mercier November 5, 2009 at 8:41 pm

First of all, I just updated my article. Major Hasan was indeed never deployed outside the US, he was also a psychiatrist. Bottom line Hasan snapped. If the prospect of being deployed to Iraq makes a psychiatrist go on a shooting rampage in what appears to be a psychotic episode, it is certainly not a great sign for the overall mental health of the military. Warfare do affect people emotionally unless they are sociopaths (think of the professional killers of Blackwater). But, Brian, due to what I am assuming is your lack of military experience, you wouldn’t know. Not to worry, I don’t think Mr. Obama will read my article anyway.

• Brian November 5, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Well much like your initial assumption about how Major Hassan snapped due to PTSD, you are incorrect about my military experience. I am working on my seventh year in the Army with a deployment to both Iraq and Afghanistan as a combat soldier. That being said, with these wars going on for years now if you are in the military and are not aware of the need for soldiers to deploy you need to SEE a psychiatrist not be one. Sir, if I may ask, what military experience do you have with the current conflicts?

• Gilbert Mercier
          Gilbert Mercier November 5, 2009 at 9:16 pm

I don’t with the current conflicts. I served in the French military, not by choice but because we had a draft at the time. I saw some of my fellow soldiers snapped numerous times. And Brian, trust me, now that I am aware of your military background, which I respect,I do apologize for some of the harshness of my previous comments. For some reason I thought you were one of these chicken-hacks. I was wrong on this one. However, do you think that if the US had a draft, and it should if Afghanistan is a “war of necessity”, US politicians will gladly send their own children to become cannon fodder(IED fodder in this case)?

• Brian November 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Lets remember that our military is an all volunteer force, the longest that you can enlist or reenlist for is 6 years so that would mean before all of the current enlistments the wars had already begun. If the country can maintain an all volunteer force why would we start a draft? Another note, some politicians currently have children in Iraq.

3. Gina November 5, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Mr. Mercier,

I currently serve in the US military and have been deployed. War is stressful. War is a situation that is indescribable and unless one has “been there”, any attempt at description will be lost in translation. I agree with Brian in that you’re using this tragic situation to create another right wing vs. left wing battle. I have friends at Ft. Hood and I ask that you leave political rhetoric and debate out of this so-called news article at least until all the facts come to light. I will proudly defend your right to free speech, but you should also use that right with the respect it deserves.

• Gilbert Mercier
      Gilbert Mercier November 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Dear Gina,

First let me say that I value your point, and respect the fact that you are serving your country. I am not exploiting this tragic event for the purpose of some political rhetoric, at least not in the context of a right-wing vs left-wing argument. This is a news article until the last two paragraphs. The last two paragraphs are an opinion, mine for that matter. I am an anti-war advocate, because of my own military experience. By the way, a lot of my good American friends are Vietnam veterans, and most of them share my views.

4. david baracka November 5, 2009 at 9:27 pm

im a 2 time combat infantryman. ive been shot at and i have shot back. for you guys to say that the system that is in place to help COMBAT STRESS didnt work for him. i ask what combat stress did he have you guys said urself ihe never deployed. so to me that is a big slap in the face to those who do have combat stress and not shoot up buildings of innocent people.

5. Jessica November 6, 2009 at 7:15 am

I am not an Obama supporter, but I totally agree with what he said. It is horrible that our soldiers lost their lives on American land, when they were about to deploy to protect the freedom we hold so dearly. And in my own belief war is a must if we want to stay free as we are today. We cannot allow people to stomp all over us and then do nothing back, because they will keep attacking us. Anyway, my heart goes out to the soldiers and the family and friends of everyone that was involved in this tragic event.