Congress Passes Historic Health Care Reform

For the first time in generations, the US Congress has passed a bill reforming our nations health care system.

Historical Attempts

This lofty goal has eluded reformers ever since Teddy Roosevelt attempted it during his 1912 run for president. A national health insurance program was proposed by FDR as part of Social Security, and the effort was continued by his successor Harry Truman in the 1940s, but stiff opposition by conservatives derailed the effort. Lyndon Johnson managed to get limited reforms enacted with the passage of Medicare in 1965, although this national health insurance program is only available to those over 65 years old (and a few others in certain circumstances). Despite nearly universal support today, conservatives vehemently opposed Medicare at the time, claiming it would be the start of government takeover of the health care system. In fact, Sarah Palin almost quoted verbatim the fear mongering speech by Ronald Reagan to the AMA in 1961 that opposed the creation of Medicare.

Richard Nixon proposed the Comprehensive Health Insurance Act in 1974, and this effort continued under Jimmy Carter, although it ultimately failed to materialize due to opposition by liberal Congressman like Ted Kennedy because it did not go far enough. Bill Clinton unsuccessfully attempted a modest overhaul of the system after in 1993 which was viciously attacked by right wing politicians and talk radio.

HCR Today
Along with the Great Recession and Iraq War, health care reform was one of the central issues that helped in the landslide victory of Barack Obama and progressive Democrats in 2008. Starting in May 2009, the push began for comprehensive reform.

That the country needs to reform its health care system is painfully obvious. At least 47 million Americans have no medical coverage, 75 million are underinsured with skeleton plans, and 86.7 million Americans have been uninsured for at least 6 months over last two years. There has been a dramatic rise increase in the uninsured rate in every state. Lack of health care coverage caused 45,000 deaths per year. Health care premiums shot up more than 90% between 2000 and 2007, while the profits of the 10 largest insurers increased 428 percent over the same period. Without real reform, there will be a 94% increase in health insurance premiums by 2020. Harvard researchers say 62% of all personal bankruptcies in the US were caused by health problems—and 78% of those filers had insurance. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, despite having the most expensive per capital health care in the world, the US in only ranked 37th in the quality of care.

To the dismay of many reform advocates, a fully socialized medical system, like the highly successful ones used in Scandinavian countries was not even considered despite their cost effectiveness and long life spans. A Single-Payer system (sometimes called Medicare-For-All) is still pushed for by strong reformers, although the Democratic congressional leadership abandoned serious consideration of this early on due to the same cries of ‘socialism’ that plagued Medicare during it’s creation.

The fall back position of real reform advocates has always been a strong, robust public health insurance option that would give a bit of competition to highly consolidated markets (for instance, large regions of some states only have one or two insurers). However, the public option was scaled back many times, until it was a public option in name only, that would have prices set by the very health insurance giants whose costs it was supposed to keep in check and even then only cover 6 million by 2018. In the end, even this was abandoned in the bill.

The Final Health Care Bill

HR 3590, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is the same as the US Senate bill passed months ago.  HR 4872, the Health Care and Education Affordability Reconciliation Act of 2010 is essentially the same as the bill passed by the US Senate, and was posted online on Tuesday as part of a new ritual of making bills freely available to the public 3 days before a vote. A breakdown of the bill with by section can also be found in pdf format.

The nonpartisan CBO (Congressional Budget Office) estimated it would expand coverage at a cost of $940 billion over 10 years (~$94 billion per year on average) and cut the deficit by $143 billion in the first decade, and by cut it by roughly $1.2 trillion over the second decade. It brings coverage for 35 million more Americans, which should mean over 95% of the public will be covered when it takes effect in 2014.

Rep. John B. Larson (D-CT), the Chairman of the Democratic Caucus in the U.S. House of Representatives writes that the top 10 immediate benefits of the bill will be:

Prohibit pre-existing condition exclusions for children in all new plans;
Provide immediate access to insurance for uninsured Americans who are uninsured because of a pre-existing condition through a temporary high-risk pool;
Prohibit dropping people from coverage when they get sick in all individual plans;
Lower seniors prescription drug prices by beginning to close the donut hole;
Offer tax credits to small businesses to purchase coverage;
Eliminate lifetime limits and restrictive annual limits on benefits in all plans;
Require plans to cover an enrollee’s dependent children until age 26;
Require new plans to cover preventive services and immunizations without cost-sharing;
Ensure consumers have access to an effective internal and external appeals process to appeal new insurance plan decisions;
Require premium rebates to enrollees from insurers with high administrative expenditures and require public disclosure of the percent of premiums applied to overhead costs.

The health care reform expert Karoli adds:

1.Adult children may remain as dependents on their parents’ policy until age 26
2.Children under age 19 may not be excluded for pre-existing conditions
3.No more lifetime or annual caps on coverage
4.Free preventative care for all
5.Adults with pre-existing conditions may buy into a national high-risk pool until the exchanges come online. While these will not be cheap, they’re still better than total exclusion and get some benefit from a wider pool of insureds.
6.Small businesses will be entitled to a tax credit for 2009 and 2010, which could be as much as 50% of what they pay for employees’ health insurance.
7.The “donut hole” closes for Medicare patients, making prescription medications more affordable for seniors.
8.Requirement that all insurers must post their balance sheets on the Internet and fully disclose administrative costs, executive compensation packages, and benefit payments.
9.Authorizes early funding of community health centers in all 50 states (Bernie Sanders’ amendment)

This massive effort passed despite an unprecedented effort at obstruction from the Republican Party, conservative media propaganda, the Tea Party demonstrations (including a last minute temper tantrum filled with racist and homophobic slurs), and upwards of a billion dollars spent mainly by health insurance giants, who flooded Washington D.C. with 6 lobbyist for every member of Congress.  Rush Limbaugh even promised to leave the country if is passes, ironically promising to relocate to Costa Rica, a country that has aspects of socialized medicine.  Various non partisan groups like Politifact.org had to submit various fact sheets debunking strong undercurrents of disinformation deliberately spread about health care reform.

The first vote today had the House pass the Senate bill. A second vote was for the reconciliation bill with some changes, which will now head to the US Senate for a simple up or down vote, then go to the desk of President Obama, who is highly likely to sign it and make it into law.

Update 8:33 pm PST: HR 4872 (the reconciliation bill) has just passed as well by a vote of 220-211.

Editor’s Note: Please follow The News Junkie Post on Twitter to stay updated on all of our articles.

200 Responses to Congress Passes Historic Health Care Reform

1. appalled March 21, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Goodnight, America – you are now on the slippery slope to totalitarian government…

• Ole Ole Olson March 21, 2010 at 8:23 pm

That’s what Reagan said in 1961. Health care reform =! totalitarian government.

• marissa March 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm

hey “appalled” i think its sad you are down by 36 people.. i upped your vote.. i’m glad to see you aren’t a socialistic retard like the rest on here

• H March 21, 2010 at 11:02 pm

i have one question. what are your qualifications to be saying any of this, do you even understand what is going on in healthcare, or are you to ignorant to actually try to see both sides of this?

• Splash Pads March 21, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Yeah I’m with you this will be great now more people can have less of a drive to take care of themselves. I’m going to be a musician.

• Reworded March 22, 2010 at 8:15 am

Now I won’t need to work three jobs to keep my house *and* my health plan. I can pursue the profession I love!

• =] March 22, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Typical Republicans so narrow minded.

• C Fellows March 22, 2010 at 7:39 am

I will be the first to admit I understand very little of most of the congressional conversations, but this attempt to better the health of all Americans is the right step. It’s implementation will be challenging; with every word open for interpretation. I look forward to the conversations.

• homeBiscuitsAndGravy March 22, 2010 at 7:50 am

bad case of gas here…got Beano?

• sober March 21, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Oh please, Just be quite. For once, everybody, just be quite, and wait and see what happens.

• H March 21, 2010 at 9:44 pm

agreed

• Carl March 22, 2010 at 12:51 am

Why don’t you go stand in front of a truck speeding at you and just be quiet… stand there and see what happens.

• homeBiscuitsAndGravy March 22, 2010 at 7:51 am

are ya smellin me?

• tonloco March 22, 2010 at 3:42 am

Be quite what? quite upset? quite appaled? quite what? I don’t think quite means what you think it means.

• Barius March 22, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Now now, stop making fun of his spelling, he’s only American afterall!

• Deathrizen March 25, 2010 at 8:55 am

after all is two words, dumb ass

• diebels727 March 23, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Truck will swerve?

• thinkofothers March 21, 2010 at 8:31 pm

What’s appalling is thousands of people dying every year from lack of health care in the richest nation of the world. That’s disgusting. Frankly, I’d be willing to wait a bit for a procedure if I knew it might save someone’s life.

• marissa March 21, 2010 at 9:56 pm

RICHEST NATION IN THE WORLD? they have you fooled well don’t they.. WE’RE BECOMING ONE OF THE POOREST NATIONS IN THE WORLD.. check your facts “thinkofothers”… ass

• mark March 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm

First off, that’s just blatantly not true, we are not becoming one of the poorest nations in the world. The US still has the highest GDP in the world as well the largest portion of the world economy. For christ’s sake, the economy of California alone is bigger than the economies of most other countries.

And who is “they”? Are you honestly that stupid that you believe that our government leaders, who are elected by a MAJORITY vote, instead of doing the things that are best for their constituents, sit in dark rooms smoking cigars, ordering hits on dissenters, and plotting how to make people’s lives terrible? Because that’s extremely silly.

And finally, I think its sad that so many people were opposed to this. I think its sad that people are so greedy that the value of a dollar is more than the value of a human being. Just try putting yourself in someone else’s shoes for a change.

• Splash Pads March 21, 2010 at 11:33 pm

It’s called debt

• The Jew March 22, 2010 at 8:45 am

More specifically… McDonalds.

• saz March 22, 2010 at 9:54 am

I like cigars…

• bgoats March 22, 2010 at 10:25 am

We are the only country that is trillions of dollars in debt; we are one of the poorest country on earth. Good try though dude.

This article is way too one-sided to be worth reading entirely. Poor writing.

• Greg March 22, 2010 at 11:01 am

We may have a high GDP, but rampant, uncontrollable government spending *will* crush our economy. Anyone who thinks it won’t is, and I apologize for the generalization, a fool. Money has to come from somewhere, and running the printing presses harder or growing an already sky-high deficit is not the way to run an economy.

Think about it this way: There are many people who only make $40,000/year, and manage to live within their means, support their family, and be happy, productive people. There are also multimillionaires who spend more than they make and end up in bankruptcy court.

Morally speaking, providing for the healthcare of the general population is a great thing. Legally speaking, it is beyond the powers granted the federal government by the constitution. Virginia has the right idea — the power to draft legislation like this is a STATE right, not a Federal right. I disagree with the legislation, if nothing else, on this point alone. The people above who are screaming about totalitarian government may be alarmists; the fact is, for years upon years, the Federal government has been drafting legislation and making court rulings and decisions on things that they have no right to. Any power they gain by setting this legal precedent, they will NOT willingly rescind.

As for trusting our politicians? You are crazy if you think any polician has their constituents best interests at heart. How many town hall meetings devolved into senators and congressmen arguing why they were going to vote for healthcare legislation, despite their constituents very vocally opposing it? Where were these noble, selfless politicians when they siphoned off our social security funds for other government projects? Where were these kind-hearted people when they attempted to exempt themselves from the very legislation they were drafting?

The fact is, there are politicians who are true and honest, but they are rare. Our forefathers were *NOT* advocates of trusting government. We aren’t supposed to trust them. Trusting peole in power leads to abuse of power.

And finally, before an angry mob descends on me for being heartless and “putting myself in others’ shoes”, I have a 4 year old son who is a cancer survivor. Even with good insurance, I’m still paying down tens of thousands of dollars of medical bills. I worked, sacrificed, bled, and sweat to make ends meet during his treatment, and you know what? I have nothing but pride for the fact that I provided for my family and ensured the health of my son on my own, without having to rely on anyone else for money.

• David March 22, 2010 at 12:30 pm

That’s great for you. But what about those who CAN’T pay for their 4 year old cancer survivor?

• Greg March 23, 2010 at 6:12 am

If I could manage it, anyone could. I make less than $40,000/year. I have no college degree. Hell, I didn’t even do that well in High School because it bored me.

I worked a job that I hated, sacrificed all of my personal luxuries, and worked out payment plans for the excess from the hospital. I had no gifts or handouts, I struggled and worked my fingers to the bone to do it.

Was I fortunate to have good insurance when this happened? Yes, I was. However, I was working in a sales job that paid less than I would have made elsewhere to guarantee that I had insurance. It was a priority for me, because there are no guarantees in life.

Some people choose to pursue jobs that don’t offer very good benefits for various reasons…easier workload, more cush schedule, more money, etc. But if they prioritize those things over healthcare, why should I be paying a cent to support them?

It isn’t that I don’t value human life. Quite the contrary. But why should I have to personally sacrifice to provide for my family’s healthcare, and then pay more taxes into a trillion dollar program to support the families of those who didn’t want to sacrifice for themselves?

Furthermore, and I reiterate this point, this is *NOT* a power granted to the federal government by the constitution. As it is, the state of Maryland has programs that will insure the uninsured children quite well. Many other states do as well. And it is will within the states’ rights to offer programs like this, but not the federal government. As I said in my original post, I’m not morally against healthcare reform, I’m against the federal government expanding its power even further past the boundaries laid down in black and white, especially into an industry that they have PROVEN they are ineffecient and wasteful in.

• Gabo March 22, 2010 at 11:43 am

They don’t oppose because they’re greedy or even rich enough to afford their own insurance. They oppose because others (Beck, Limbaugh, Palin, etc.) tell them in simple words that they should not only be against it, but also be afraid of it. They spare them the details and instead make easy analogies: healthcare and or democrats=debt=poor=socialism=chavez=cuba=communist russia=nazis (¿?)=bad. It doesn’t have to make sense, it’s easy and effective.

• bgoats March 22, 2010 at 10:26 am

i applaud the one person that actually paid attention during a history/economics class.

• thinkofothers March 22, 2010 at 4:42 pm

When you resort to name calling, it demeans you – and says much more about your character and reduces your ability to make a valid point. I don’t appreciate that on either side of this debate.

• Chris March 22, 2010 at 10:30 am

Thousands die a day ??…. hummm, you’d think Obama would have signed it Sunday night then…. but no he’s going to wait until Tuesday. First death panel decision I guess….

• Melinda G March 22, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Lol we are not the richest nation anymore since Obama has been in office or haven’t you heard???

• shane March 22, 2010 at 5:37 pm

We haven’t been the richest nation since Bush took office. Did you forget about him?

• Chimplit March 21, 2010 at 8:38 pm

You’re probably one of those teabaggers so just crawl back into your hole.

• marissa March 21, 2010 at 9:55 pm

excuse me.. my father has been to the tea bag rally’s and i would have to if my schedule would have allowed for it. you are just a socialist and uneducated fool. you will see eventually how your beloved liberals are taking this world over one at a time. GET WITH IT. read something ..the bible …the NEWSPAPER and look at the details not the big picture and ask yourself if this is RIGHT! because its not. theres nothing wrong with standing up for your natural BORN rights that obama and the congressmen are trying to deny us

• hey marissa March 21, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I’m sorry, but you lost all your creditably of being unbiased when you said “bible”.

• Jeff March 21, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Did you recite that word for word from daddy, or did you change a few words after you memorized it? Learn to spell…proper use of words, grammar, etc… “would have to” to…o. It has TWO “O”s. 2. After a period, there are also TWO spaces. 2. After a period, try CAPITALIZING the first letter. “theres” ….THERE IS…..”There’s” What rights do you feel denied? Go back to school, learn to speak and write properly, take a history class, then come back and update us with your incredibly intelligent commentary. Please.

• lisa March 22, 2010 at 6:58 am

AMEN!! Well said Jeff. I wish someone could say this to Sarah Palin’s face!

• Hmmm March 22, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Actually, it’s a topic of debate among writers of the English language as to exactly how many space are required after a period…

• Burnt Toast March 22, 2010 at 8:09 am

Tea Party rallies? Oh come on… lets call it what it is. I know a Klan rally when I see one.

• bgoats March 22, 2010 at 10:30 am

That statement just makes you sound as intelligent as Sarah Palin. The KKK was originated by hardcore left-wingers. Read a history book kid.

• Saywhat March 22, 2010 at 11:43 am

“Ku Klux Klan, often abbreviated KKK and informally known as The Klan, is the name of several past and present far right hate groups in the United States whose avowed purpose is to protect the rights and further the interests of White Americans of Protestant faith by violence and intimidation.”

• Gabo March 22, 2010 at 11:51 am

what rights are you being denied? the right to prevent others from having acces to healthcare?

• Melinda G March 22, 2010 at 12:02 pm

You mean the freeloaders… or the foreigners in our country

• Bonnita March 22, 2010 at 1:35 pm

You mean the people who work a thousand times harder than most people (usually at 2 or 3 different full time jobs) and still can barely afford to feed and shelter their family, let alone pay to have a URINARY TRACT INFECTION (which could be killed by a course of $3 antibiotics) treated because (a) they can’t afford the emerg visit and/or (b) can’t afford, or won’t be covered by, insurance that will?

These are usually the people that work the hardest jobs in America, yet they make tens of thousands of dollars less than a person who sits in a cubicle all day!

Get a GRIP! These are NOT freeloaders!

• rog March 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm

if you really did not know this but this country was built on foreigners or did you forget that we as a whole immigrated to this country. So in a sense you are making fun of yourself since you are also a foreigner to this country

• fool March 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I’m wondering how many people will be put in jail because they can not afford to pay fine.

• Proud-dem March 22, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Marissa…. You are a bona fide retard! You have no idea what you are talking about and should really try to educate yourself on this before commenting on it. You exemplify the undereducated that is poisoning this country. If you really believe our natural born rights are being denied by anyone with the merciful passage of this bill, then perhaps the next time you get sick and hospitalized, or g-d forbid reproduce, pay your bill out of pocket. keep thumping your bible and praying to your g-d because without this bill that is what constitutes health care for waaaay too many Americans.

• KODOS!! March 21, 2010 at 8:45 pm

THAT’S RIGHT, PATHETIC HUMAN! NOW, WHEN YOU VISIT THE DOCTOR, YOU WILL BE SUBJECTED TO AN ORIFICE PROBING FROM THE MINIONS OF KODOS! SOON, YOUR SO-CALLED “FREEDOM” WILL BE NOTHING MORE THAN AN UNINSURED MEMORY!! BWA-HA HA HA HA HA WA-HAHAHAHAHA!!

• homeBiscuitsAndGravy March 22, 2010 at 7:49 am

fart…

• XENU March 27, 2010 at 2:43 am

CURSE YOU EMPEROR KODOS, GIVING THE PUNY HUMANS HEALTH CARE WILL GREATLY BENEFIT THEIR LIVES IN ALMOST EVERY SINGLE WAY, BUT WITH ONE TWIST.
        WE SHALL PUT THE TEA PARTY ONTO THE HUMAN GALAXY JUST TO PISS THEM OFF.
        MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ALL HAIL EMPEROR PALIN , BECK, LIMBAUGH AND VARIOUS OTHER MINIONS OF SATAN

• GonzoBobH March 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Haha… did you know that that the term “slippery slope” is a term used to exemplify a type of fallacious argument.

This means while you are trying to make a point you’re simultaneously pointing out that your point is logically faulted.

That, sir, is not easily done.

Kudos.

• marissa March 21, 2010 at 10:10 pm

**** you, you sarcastic bast**d

• cmac March 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm

So you lash out at the educated too?

• homeBiscuitsAndGravy March 22, 2010 at 8:05 am

personally, i graduated from the prestigious University of Beano…with honors…gotta go…got gas

• FraserInCanada March 22, 2010 at 6:40 am

Marissa, you really need to calm down.

The man speaks the truth. How do I know? I looked it up and checked the facts — in two different published books on the subject, each from a different country. People in academia in other countries, you see, usually have less of a vested interest in what the USA does. Thus, what they say is what we in the real world like to call “unbias”. Try checking your facts in this fashion in the future. You may be (dissapointedly) surprised.

On a different note, if you really read the bible, as you seemed to elude to in a previous comment, perhaps you’d know where that volume percribes your place to be in society. And its not discussing politics.

I’m sure theres some muffins that need baking.

• homeBiscuitsAndGravy March 22, 2010 at 8:12 am

personally, i’m on a slippery slope to a serious case of gas cramps…

• jeffy big boy March 22, 2010 at 8:36 am

Are we on the slippery slope towards totalitarianism? Undoubtedly.

But that’s just the beginning.

As I brushed my teeth this morning, it occurred to me: if I push this toothbrush just sliiiightly further, I’ll hurl my Cheerios. Without even realizing it, I had put myself on the slippery slope towards bulimia.

After I had dressed, I walked the eight blocks west to my subway stop. Which put me, of course, on the slippery slope towards drowning in the Pacific Ocean. (Once I start walking west, who’s to say when I will stop?)

During my commute, my body brushed uncomfortably against total strangers packed into the train car. Is a life of sex crime that far away?

I stopped to buy coffee around the corner from my office. Sure, today, it’s coffee. But tomorrow, it could be methamphetamines.

Now, finally, I’m sitting at my desk, writing this comment when I should be working instead. I can already see where this slope is headed: loss of job, extended unemployment, depression, debt, homelessness, suicide, then finally, the harvesting of my organs by rogue CIA doctors to build a cyborg assassin designed to overthrow our government and install a Communist dictatorship.

I think I’ve made my point. The truth is, people, there are dangerous slippery slopes lurking everywhere. We can’t just enact crazy legislation willy-nilly. We have to stay vigilant.

• Kevlar March 23, 2010 at 2:39 am

You sir, are my hero.

• Jack Robertson March 22, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Appalled, you got a thumbs-up from me! Marissa, you too! Sorry to hurt your ratings. =)

• itch March 22, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I guess taking care of the American people is totalitarianism…go watch Glenn Beck some more.

• Doug holland March 23, 2010 at 1:35 am

Totalitarian……… don’t be daft, you guys are so right wing, even your “Far Left” is laughable . You have lived in fear for so long you can’t cope with security.

2. Pingback: === popurls.com === popular today

3. Appalled is Butthurt March 21, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Appalled, dont be so butthurt

why not go to a country with no government run healthcare that would put you up in a shack, you know, like

Canada, UK, Irland, austrailia…oh wait, they all have this already

• fool March 21, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Even this health care bill passed, Gov still doesn’t run the health care, wait until insurance company go bankrupt then gov will run the health care.

• Please..... March 22, 2010 at 6:24 am

Canada, better get your fact straight, not ALL Canadians have government heath care, and it is Provence to Provence not Canadian government controlled. for example, BC residents pay for basic and extended is not covered. Alberta residents pay for all heathcare. Quebec, Ontario etc, covered under their taxes. So they also end up paying.
        Time to get into the hospital for a minor surgery up to a year.

• FraserInCanada March 22, 2010 at 6:49 am

True that. But the flipside is that nobody who has a health card (and thus entitled to care) is left to die because they don’t have enough coverage. They treat those in the most risk first, because thats what saves lives. And that’s the focus of the system, to preserve life. Of course its not a perfect system, nobody’s is, even in Sweden. But there is a greatly reduced occurance of great injustice where people are kicked out of the hospital in critical condition because a corporation has disowned them or refused to pay on thier behalf. Instead, the rest of society chips in on thier behalf.

This is a phenomenon called “social responsibility”, which Americans seem to rather fallaciously term “socialism”. Social responsibility is part of being in a democratic society. If you don’t care about those you share your country with, well… I don’t see how you can call yourself American.

• thevegasjunkkie March 22, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Ireland, A perfect example. Where my fiance had to wait for 4 weeks for an appointment for her 2 year old daughter who was having problems with the muscles in her eyes. She is now cross-eyed for life thanks to government controlled health care. People who vote for govt. controlled healthcare deserve to suffer, not this 2 year old child who has her whole life ahead of her. Scum, the whole lot of you.

• Bonnita March 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Maybe your fiance should have taken her to the emergency room when she couldn’t keep her eyes open. Just an idea….

4. D-chi March 21, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I can say that although I never went to a tea party, I fully support the movement. It’s great to see so many people uniting for a cause, and good to know that we can in fact petition the government. Even if the government doesn’t like it.

• madhatter March 22, 2010 at 4:27 am

i agree with you in principle. However, the tea party is not a true grass roots movement. It’s merely an example of the power of the media to create an AstroTurf(artificial) movement.

• Burnt Toast March 22, 2010 at 8:11 am

Tea Party = Klan

• Melinda G March 22, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Do you know how uneducated that sounds? let me guess… my wages pay for you to sit home too….

• shane March 22, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I do more work in one week than you probably do in a month Miss Melinda. I don’t feel to bad about my tax money going to help those less fortunate than me. I may not have a lot in terms of cash or investments, but what I do have is family, friends, and neighbors, and Americans of which I have an invested interest in their quality of life.

• Doug holland March 23, 2010 at 1:26 am

Glad the tea party is in the US; glad they went there, else we would be only just be getting a Health Serviced.
      How ‘backward’ can a country be. ? Still holding on their grubby meanness . Christians all ???????

5. thinkofothers March 21, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I used to direct an organization that helped uninsured patients at a hospital. The suffering I saw people going through on a daily basis was appalling… and invisible to the general public. These were hard working folks – who often lost coverage because they got sick. I saw people nearly die from lack of basic heath care every week. Try getting testing supplies for diabetes if you’re uninsured… I saw people in the ICU with diabetic comas almost every week. We all paid for that. Maybe now they can get basic care and not wait until they’re almost dead to come to the ER. People claim this country is founded on Christian values… but from the way we often treat the poor (and unlucky) you’d hardly know it. If you have insurance, how long would you have to be sick before losing it? Would our old safety net catch you?

6. Dave Lawrence March 21, 2010 at 9:01 pm

So I was actually liking your article and about to bookmark your site.

Then I clicked the “factcheck.org” link you have in the 3rd to last paragraph.

“Various non partisan groups like Factcheck.org had to submit various fact sheets debunking strong undercurrents of disinformation deliberately spread about health care reform.”

That link DOES NOT go to factcheck.org, but instead to politifact.com. I’m fine with you referencing other sites, but if you’re going to post a link and pass it off as one site while directing me to another site, I want no part of your “news” and “opinion.”

I get enough of slandering misdirection on TV without having links misdirect me from where I think I’m going.

No bookmark for you!

• Ole Ole Olson March 21, 2010 at 10:18 pm

My apologies for the inadvertent mistake. It was unintentional. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

7. jamesphoben March 21, 2010 at 9:03 pm

we americans should start impeachment proceedings immediately for the (so-called president of the u.s.)–by the way, where was he born– who cares–impeach him and deal with the issue later. he is selling of country to foreigners at an alarming rate. who the hell does he think is going to pay for it…thats right folks–the middle class-you and i.

• marissa March 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm

hey james… i think theres only a few of us who actually realize these things.. i guess digg.com is only a website socialists are allowed on..because it seems to me a lot of these people are blinded by igornance.. so kudo james.. keep spreading the word no matter how many people say you’re wrong

• H March 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm

if you dont like how something is done then next election you run for president and win and change things but with these comments you would probably send us into a world war that leads to nuke war ending in everyone dying but really stop complaining and fix it if it is soo bad but you dont even stop to realize the positives of this so really think before you say ignorant things

• madhatter March 22, 2010 at 4:31 am

it’s not that digg only allows socialists. it’s just that digg attracts more intelligent people. Don’t know how you slipped in though.

• jd March 22, 2010 at 12:02 pm

where was he born? where was Mc Cain born???? read something before you speak marissa and james youre embarassing yourselves

• Ron March 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Oh look, a birther. Everything else you say is automatically ignored.

• proud socialist March 22, 2010 at 4:28 am

Just because he is black doesn’t mean he’s African. And he isn’t the so-called president, he IS the president. We get it, he’s not white. Get over yourself.

• jd March 22, 2010 at 11:58 am

you want to start impeachment proceedings, yet im sure you voted for Bush not once but twice, and stood by him for 8 years without a peep of impeachment, dont be biased by your republican views, a good president is a good president a bad president is a bad president, be rational, there is no way you can say he is doing a worse job than obama, ps. learn some history buddy this whole country is foreigners…unless your ancestors were indians my friend you as well are a FOREIGNER.

• jd March 22, 2010 at 11:59 am

*worse job than Bush* i meant

• manu March 22, 2010 at 8:22 pm

“selling of country to foreigners” Althought this has nothing to do with the health care, if you read a little bit more history, you would realize that the US (it’s corporations, actually) did that for a looooong time to other countries (Im talking about “buying” other countries, if you don’t get it).

8. t March 21, 2010 at 9:03 pm

So Sad…..

9. Sonoma Sam March 21, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I just don’t understand why anyone would fight this. Do all those who are against it, the few with HMO plans still paid by their employers?
    I want everyone to be happy!
    But that would be socialist!
    Then everyone would be unhappy and wouldn’t that also be socialist?
    No, only you are unhappy, I got mine, so its not socialism it you dont.

I really like how the funding for local clinic got in there. It costs but sorely needed by those without any options.

10. Jack Robertson March 21, 2010 at 9:10 pm

… and one giant leap for communism.

Oh, government, my savior and provider!

I would like to thank all my fellow komrades who caved in and passed this trillion-dollar treason … er … I mean legislation.

• H March 21, 2010 at 9:36 pm

do you understand how this is actually going to get paid? its not like we just fork a trillion dollars at it. read up on the legislation before you make those comments. if we cut medicade we would save trillions of dollars enough to fund this plan and it is over 10 years another reason we are not forking a trillion dollars at it

• Jack Robertson March 22, 2010 at 4:46 pm

You are so uninformed. Have YOU read this legislation? No you haven’t. And neither has anyone who voted to pass this.

All you who supported this are lemmings!

They didn’t even use vaseline! Oh, yeah, that’s the new health care program. Gotta cut costs.

• marissa March 21, 2010 at 10:07 pm

kudos jack.. kudos… this is the definition of treason

• H March 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Marissa, before you start to think that our government is going into a communist revolt think about this. money would be given to the program through cuts of other programs fundings that do not adequately us those funds and through silly increases in taxes like and increase in tanning taxes. also when has a healthcare bill ever led to a communist government, last time ii checked other presidents tried just as hard and even though they were unsuccessful we are still a democracy and the definition of treason is the offense of acting to overthrow one’s government or to harm or kill its sovereign. how is giving more people healthcare treason? i am confused i mean attempting to help americans really doesnt sound like that bad of an idea but hell what do i know

• GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm

HAHAHAHA WHATS A WOMAN DOING HERE TALKING ABOUT POLITICS?!?!?!?

• Frank March 22, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Hahaha, GBSKW I laughed for a solid 5 minutes after i read your comment.

• shane March 22, 2010 at 6:18 pm

My bible says she supposed to be getting ready to serve me dinner.

• TK March 21, 2010 at 10:58 pm

H – i do not think you are familiar with the non aggresion priciple – healthcare is a positive right – which is not a right the government should prvide – anyways healthcare – being a social service – is forced upon the unwilling americans through a forced exchange of tax dollars- this specific bill which includes the individual mandate – FORCES americans to buy health insurance – sounds pretty coercive to me if i dont say so myself – anyhow – this leads to a slippery slope of coercion in which the govenrment is able to take control of anything they want – see nazi germany for example or cambodia – see hitler promsied economic recovery – and look what happened – i think we can all agree hitler was not the kindest gent in the world – this can happen america i kid you not – today its helathcare, tommorow concentration camps of all foreigners, ya no one wants that – anyway if that doesnt get you – ehalthcare itseld violates our freedom – you see i have the liberty of chosing to go die in the middle of the street from a commonly cured flu – this disgrace of healthcare bill FORCES ME TO SEE A DOCTOR AND GET HELP –
          and thats not good at all

(this are not my ideas give props to Brown and Warford of some respective school somewhere)

• GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Kind sir, Util is the best way to evaluate the round. Any other framework puts some peoples lives above others, turning your value to life arguements.

• mark March 21, 2010 at 11:02 pm

You do not know what you are talking about, and its offense to people with an education higher than a sixth grader everywhere.

• GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I’m sorry, I thought this was my cross ex.

• H March 21, 2010 at 11:07 pm

ok look that makes no sense what so ever put that through a spell check or something before you submit it especially if you are bagging on someones education. and i agree with GBSKW a utilitarian framework is the only way to truely have a value to life

• shane March 22, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Which you obviously had never attained.

• madhatter March 22, 2010 at 4:39 am

except that hitler’s “plan” to help the economy was not about budget cuts, taxes, or some other peaceful solution. His plan was to take over all of europe. War is a very profitable business. while people are ‘forced’ to have coverage no one can force them to go to the doctor/hospital if they don’t want. next time you feel like you need to go see a doctor don’t, you’re only perpetuating their socialistic regime(go die instead). i had a lot of other stuff to add but it really isn’t worth arguing here over, everyones mind is made up and closed already. So let’s just see…

• Sirj March 22, 2010 at 6:00 am

Forces you to see a doctor and get help is bad? Are you a drug addict or something?
            Makes you buy health insurance? Yeah, costing less money and saving millions of lives. That’s something worth buying.

• FraserInCanada March 22, 2010 at 7:00 am

Forcing you to get insurance I agree is coercive. And I say that as a Canadian. I mean, I just want to drive my car from point A to point B, and I *have* to have insurance on it. Rediculous!

Oh… wait, we’re talking about health care? Oh. Well last time I checked, I valued my health far more than my Oldsmobile. Just sayin’.

Coercive, yes. Necessary? More so.

And you are free to die if you want. Just don’t go to the hospital. Nobody’s forcing you. Unless you’re insane. But that’s a different story.

• Proud-dem March 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

ummm… how exactly does it force you to go to a doctor if you are sick? Does our government have some sort of satellite that measures everyone’s temperature from orbit and when one comes in they mobilize the national guard to remove you from your home and drag you kicking and screaming to the hospital or doctor’s office for a shot? I am a fairly well educated person but i completely fail to see the logic in any of what you have had to say. There is NO coercion in the bill at all, and yes, i have read it. and last i knew of the Nazis, they burned books and killed jews just because they were not anglosaxon…. What truely violates our freedom is not having a right to healthcare. Oh, and if you would like to die in the middle of the street of the common flu by your own choice, be my guest. I, However would like to have the comfort of knowing I have healthcare coverage that will actually pay for me to see a doctor. an option i do not currently possess and have not had for several months. G-Obama!

• Jack Robertson March 22, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Thank you Marissa! Yay! I’m NOT alone!!!!

Sometimes I feel like Alice In Wonderland. Look at all the “thumb downs” you got. That’s how you know your on the right track. Whichever way the herd is going … go the opposite way. =)

• Sirj March 22, 2010 at 6:02 am

Yeah, cause all nations with HC are communist.
      I live in Canada and IMO crap like you will be happy when someone in your family is dieing and you have the money to pay for it. It must be nice to never have been in that situation….yet.

11. rrs10 March 21, 2010 at 9:18 pm

We al need to wait and see how it works and then we will see who will be happy with this,then this is when people will decide if they like it or not, oh but by then wont it be a far too little too Late? But then that is what the People wanted Right? Only time will tell for all of US,then we will see who will be Happy Go Lucky ,with this Socialism that OBaMa put for us Americans!!! Good Luck with this and Hopefully it works out for the Ones that Actually Voted for this ?????????? We will need it ,especially when we come Home with our Pay Checks,that is when it will Hit Everyone,thats if u actually do work right? Not living off any kind of Welfare or what have you!!!!!!!! TIME WILL TELL AND THEN SOME……………

• Raquel March 21, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Thank You Americans we just Joined in with the other Third world Countries ,isnt that embarrasing for us Americans? Ever since this Obama Person went into Office we have just been going Down Hill and it still is going to get worse for us all but you all Voted for this,so you will see whats going to Happen with this Voted on,helath care Reform Bll. You wait and See . Your are going to regret it,you will remember these words, People Good Luck….

• H March 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm

We voted on healthcare. look there is no real link to how a healthcare bill will lead us into the horrible poverty and condition’s of a third world country. have some respect please i mean almost all Americans cannot comprehend what goes on there so do not say we are going there, it is ignorant and makes no sense

• Ole Ole Olson March 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm

We just joined other third world countries like those European ones who spend far less on health care per capita, have nearly universal coverage, and equal or higher life expectancies. hmm…

• TK March 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Just a random question, why do you randomly capitalize words?

• GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm

perhaps Because he is ANGEREDLY!

• TK March 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm

of Course, of course ITS so SIMple…..

• GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 11:04 pm

H?????????????A???????????H??????????????A??????????H???????????A????????????????????????A?????????????????H???????????Ä??????????????????????????????????

• Proud-dem March 23, 2010 at 10:32 am

a third world country?!?! are you serious? have you ever been to a third world country and seen the conditions they live in? Oh, and who, by the way and let us not forget, receive their medical treatment in very large part from the benevolent US companies and physicians who provide their services at a wildly reduced cost? you are right on one aspect. We are becoming like a third world country in that americans are dying at an alarming rate from treatable, if not preventable illnesses the likes of which have been happening in third world countries for decades. What a relief that someone stepped in and put a stop to that atrocity, at least beginning in 2014…. the following is from this website: http://hubpages.com/hub/americathirdworldcountry …. <> They have major health problems. America ranks dead last in life expectancy among the western democracies and 17th in infant mortality. We are the only western democracy without universal healthcare and 40 million Americans have no health insurance and this number grows each day. The cost of privately provided healthcare rose from just 12% of the economy to 17% in five years, as premiums went up 10% per year.

• Doug holland March 24, 2010 at 11:38 am

At last some sense. I have lived a very healthy life. Now my body is of an age that it needs help and that’s what I get. The NHS has allowed me to have no fear of being in need of help. Same day Dr. appointments Home visit when I phoned to say I was very tired. Next an ambulance to the hospital; three day later I’m home again after being spoilt rotten. Yes I paid National Insurance all my life and glad to do so. Even the Queen pays. Have fun

• shane March 22, 2010 at 6:25 pm

That had to be the most illogical rant I’ve read in all these comments.

12. H March 21, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Look this bill had to be passed or else Obama would be in deep trouble but tell me where it says anywhere that it will increase competition between private insurers so they lower costs, which is the only real way to lower prices and by the time anything actually happens 180000 more americans will die because of lack of health coverage. it looks better when Obama is talking about it because he only talks about the extreme greatness of the bill but he fails to mention the what it wont do or what any of even the slightest negative effects will be. He is keeping Americans in the dark, and that is probably the plan.

13. Carter March 21, 2010 at 9:30 pm

You know, I have been waiting for this to be passed for a long time. I am 20 years old and a diabetic without health insurance for over 2 years. When I was diagnosed I got kicked of my parents insurance at 18. I have tried getting my own insurance 4 separate times, at what ever the cost. I have been denied every time for a pre-existing condition. I don’t think people voting against this bill understand how much people in my shoes need it. I would be dead right now if I didn’t have doctors that cared for me and were giving me the supplies I need. But now I can finally get the insurance I need to stay alive.

• Bonnita March 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I am very happy for you. As a Canadian nursing student, it is unfathomable to me how someone with your condition could be left to fend for themselves at EIGHTEEN! And for those referring to people who would be using this system as “freeloaders,” when you are 18 and attending/paying for college, you have every right to freeload off the government for healthcare expenses as you are already paying tens of thousands of dollars to be able to get education to get a well paying job!

Congrats Carter!

14. crs March 21, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Like others are saying that is what I think also ,Obama is just keeping us in the Dark and we all are not seeing the Light, like they say he is just talking but not really knowing what actually is going to Happen to us,when we have to start getting theyre Gov runned Health Insurance, Oh man what a mess this is all going to Be, you just wait and see,now. Alot of our United States Doctors are not going to like this Either, mark these words also,we are in for a whole lot of B—S–t, if u know what I mean,we will all have to wait and See how this All turns out!!! God help us All………………

15. GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I TYPE IN CAPS BECAUSE I’M ANGRY!!!!!

• H March 21, 2010 at 9:53 pm

YOUR STUPID ( KW Fails at debate)

• GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 9:55 pm

“ENEMY HEALTHCARE BILL INCOMING” “PSSSHSHSHSH”

• TK March 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm

ya know what someone should write an article about – why we should’ve had a public otpion and without a public option obamas agenda will fail…..also somehow there will be a nuclear war…..if anyone is qualified to do that go ahead and post that here … anyways ROGHETY WHAR THE CAT DRAG IN!

• H March 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I agree with TK

• GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Or maybe an article about why the states could do the very same public option, without having to sap obama’s political capital! what an idea!

16. marissa March 21, 2010 at 10:11 pm

you…are.. oh so blind

• H March 21, 2010 at 10:57 pm

yea no, you are the extremely ignorant one

• Proud-dem March 22, 2010 at 9:46 pm

…and you, Marissa, continue to be a galactically stupid ignorant person. I hope you do not vote.

17. geartooth March 21, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Thanks for explaining the health-care issue in its entirety with background information. Nice blog post.

• GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm

your welcome

• H March 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Then you explain it

18. lavawalker March 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Medicare has been deemed a failure. Social security’s impending failure will happen during most of our lifetimes. While I believe this is well intentioned, I don’t trust the American Government to do this right. Time will tell, but the govenment’s track record isn’t reassuring….

• Jane Doe March 21, 2010 at 11:44 pm

They said Social Security was not going to cost that much and it will be funded by tax payers according to the CBO report. However, tax payers are paying into it and it is still going broke. Just wait till these entitlement bills start coming then the cost of this health care bill will triple. A good example is the illegal immigrants who pay taxes so they will prove in a court of law that they are entitled to health care. I guarantee that this health care bill will cost much more than the CBO currently states. I would like to see the numbers because it just don’t add up!

• whathe? March 22, 2010 at 12:37 am

“I would like to see the numbers because it just don’t add up!”

How can you possibly know it doesn’t add up if you haven’t seen the numbers?

19. GBSKW March 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Talkin to me? eh?

20. Melly March 21, 2010 at 10:43 pm

It was 220-215. Just think you should correct it, for the nitpickers out there (Like me!)

21. ChickenLittle March 21, 2010 at 10:55 pm

The socialist Obama, who isn’t even a US citizen, has finally succeeded in passing his Marxist healthcare agenda. All is lost! The end is near! Cats will lie with dogs! Your granny will be executed by firing squad if she dares to get sick, so you, and especially your granny, better get right with Jeebus now.

• H March 21, 2010 at 11:34 pm

This makes no sense. Though this reform might not have been the best idea, it had to be done. and the intention is to help people meaning give them healthcare. The government doesnt do things to screw over the american people, actually look at the situation and understand what you are saying before you make stupid remarks like that.

• ChickenLittle March 21, 2010 at 11:51 pm

And the moral of the story is:

Pay no heed to the ChickenLittles of the world!

22. saywhat March 21, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I think what many people misunderstand is that they think if you are against Obamacare, you are against health care reform. I think we all agree things need to change. I just don’t believe a government controlled system is the best way. The government tends to be highly inefficient and you can look at almost any large program they run as proof. What happens if the government can’t afford this which is what we will probably see sooner rather than later? Rationing? Long long waits? Poor care? Its scary to think what will happen now they have control of our health which effects every aspect of our lives. This wasn’t the only way to lower costs.

• If only March 22, 2010 at 12:22 am

The issue with the health care reform that has been passed is that it has some huge problems that were not addressed prior to passing it.
      In my mind these are the top 2 problems with the reform for me.
      #1 being that the cost for this reform is around 900billion. This money is supposedly in the budget already, apparently money that is being currently misused, but a clear indication of where this money is coming from is not shown.
      #2 Some places do not accept certain insurance carriers. There is nothing in the bill to ensure that public health care is usable where a person generally goes to a doctor. This is an issue because places that do accept the insurance will be overcrowded, overburdened, and possibly have less drive when it comes to doctors seeing patients. Additionally some people are uncomfortable with a large number of doctors and have specific hospitals/doctors they choose to see due to the fact that the other doctors they have gone to are less than satisfactory. If their standard doctor does not accept this new health insurance, the additional burden of medical record transfers and finding a new doctor.

The health care reform was done in a we must pass this now or else fashion. Ultimatums are bad.

Additionally I find it very uncomfortable when I hear about one side deciding that slipping through the “red tape” of the system to get something passed is okay just because the other side did it previously.

The biggest concern I have with the healthcare is what it may bode for the future politics. If he democratic side keeps pushing with reforms and keeps pushing them through in a slipshod manner, which may yield terrible results due to poor planing, there WILL be a right wing backlash in the future. And it will not be pretty. At all.

That being said I think both the left and the right had valid point in a lot of these arguments but they are so stuck on hating each other they really don’t care what the people of this nation want or need. Both the democrats and the republicans need to fix that or be removed from our political system, because this world is not black and white, it’s shade’s of gray.

• PotKettle March 22, 2010 at 12:32 am

“If he democratic side keeps pushing with reforms and keeps pushing them through in a slipshod manner, which may yield terrible results due to poor planing, there WILL be a right wing backlash in the future. And it will not be pretty. At all.”

What just happened is a result of the LAST voter backlash.

23. Carl - No cult prefere...I mean no political party March 21, 2010 at 11:51 pm

I could be wrong about assuming this fact of a past revision of this bill (that didn’t pass) is in this latest one, but last I heard, ~60% of the cost of this bill will fall on the states…won’t that just push their STILL FAILING economies over the edge? States like Cali and Mich especially?

Also, everyone take a step back and ask yourselves “why do we need health insurance at all?”…could it be mostly because even basic health care is just too darned expensive? Quit relying on your hopes and dreams of a fairy-tale future, “yes we can” nonsense, mainstream media, and even your high school history books for enough general understanding of how the world works to commit yourselves so absolutely to a bill that probably none of you (nor myself) has even read.

Social Security, like Communism, looked good on paper. Sounded like a pretty noble law to force on the public…them government folks really cared about our retirements and well being. But wait! No one here can refute that SS won’t be there for us (younger generation) when we get old for our leaders needed that money all along for too much nonsensical crap. Crap like warheads for example, which oddly enough, goes against liberal anti-war views; liberals who supported that law more than conservatives in 1935. In any case, it’s pretty clear SS was an easy way to tax the population using a “noble facade” tactic. At this point, this is pretty irrefutable.

I point that out because the man responsible for SS is the same man (Franklin Roosevelt) responsible for our credit based system when he did away with the gold standard and started the process of transferring control of the country’s money presses over to the banks. Again it looks good on paper, but when you look a little deeper you can see how diabolical it really is. Before our credit based system, things like health care and college tuition were affordable to almost anyone without a bank loan or insurance. People only made purchases relative to what they had saved which kept costs and inflation in check. Simple. Fact.

This all goes back to my second paragraph…why do we need a law forcing health insurance on our overburdened states and populace? This seemingly noble bill only seems necessary because health care is so expensive (due to our credit based system) and this is a common tactic used to pass bills NOT actually intended for the benefit of the population (refer to SS above) regardless of how they spread the butter. And we wouldn’t be talking about it today at all if our ancestors hadn’t listened to this same type of nonsensical propaganda the way we do today.

And don’t take my word for any of what I’ve said…do your research and come to your own conclusions. Just don’t let the press, the President and definitely not the comments on this website or any website for that matter do it for you.

And whoever said above that we were the wealthiest country in the world…again do your research. America is the world’s biggest debtor, not creditor. That means everything we have is on loan…surely you’ve seen our 12 trillion dollar debt (as reported, but much higher when everything is factored in…I think ~60 trillion?) and completely disregarded it though. Here’s an experiment in economics: Take a trip to any bank, take out a couple thousand and just disregard your payments…let us know how long it takes before someone comes knockin’.

• Jack Robertson March 23, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Carl,
      Very well put. You’re exactly on target with your statement. Thanks for making sense here. What a breath of fresh air.

24. Jane Doe March 21, 2010 at 11:54 pm

I’m trying to understand what American People are the Dems and Obama talking about? All the polls show that the majority of the American People oppose this current Health Care bill and that the reps in Congress are doing what the American People want. Oh, I get it I don’t know what I want and the Congress knows what is best for me. Ok, I guess I can rest easy now free health care and by the way I’m not wanting to work so can you just give me money so I can stay home? Just take care of me!

• Answers March 22, 2010 at 12:50 am

“I’m trying to understand what American People are the Dems and Obama talking about?”

The ones who get sick, or might get sick.

“All the polls show that the majority of the American People oppose this current Health Care bill and that the reps in Congress are doing what the American People want.”

Care to offer some examples of these polls, along with who funded these polls?

“Oh, I get it I don’t know what I want and the Congress knows what is best for me.”

Have you ever heard the phrase ‘REPRESENTATIVE democracy used in a sentence? Any clue what it might mean?

“I guess I can rest easy now free health care”

There’s no such thing, thus this new bill. We have an aging baby boomer population, who require more healthcare (am I the only one who paid attention to Perot and his charts when he prophesied all of this years ago?), as well as those who can’t afford to pay for healthcare (isn’t there some old literature that mentioned the poor will always be with us?). Healthcare costs are spiralling out of control as a result. A fiscal conservative would want to find some way to insure those costs were paid, such that those costs didn’t increase the deficit, which is why the conservative Heritage Foundation came up with the ideas found in Obamacare in the early 90s, as arguments AGAINST Clintoncare in the same time period. Funny how when those same ideas have Obama’s name on them, they all of a sudden became like leprosy. I mean, it’s not like Bush didn’t have eight years to do something about healthcare, but did nothing at all, now is it?

“I’m not wanting to work”

How do you think the millions of unemployed feel, particularly those with pre-exsiting conditions, that having lost their jobs, also lose their insurance, and can’t get it back due to their pre-exsiting condition. You’d think SOMEONE wouid do something about that, but we all know it wasn’t on Bush’s radar the last eight years, now was it?

25. Absolutely March 22, 2010 at 12:01 am

This comment thread is absolute fail. Why are all the counter-arguments against healthcare reform full of spelling mistakes and huge errors in grammar? Did you people even go to school?

• J March 22, 2010 at 6:15 am

Of course not public school is socialism and we refuse to have any part of socialism.

26. John Dunphy March 22, 2010 at 12:11 am

What saddens me the most about this is the likely complete lack of knowledge about any of this. It’s my team vs. your team, nothing more. It’s like being a fan of the Detroit Lions, even though they suck. They’re your team. So, if Obama and his admin does something good, all the fans of another team scream “socialism” or something because it’s not their team. Likewise, if Obama and his admin does something not so good, his fans just scream “Go Lions!” because it’s their team.

But, here’s the problem: this isn’t a game, this is my life and yours. And unfortunately, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So, for those that need real change from their government, they get the shaft because misinformed old ladies attend rallies with signs that say, “I’m teabagging 4 Jesus” (look it up), and have no idea why they are there or what they are fighting against (“socialism!” Please…) because it’s THEIR team and dadgum we won’t let some other team tell us theirs is better than ours.

The health care bill passed pales to what the country really needs, but it’s a start. Finally.

27. marissa fails March 22, 2010 at 12:58 am

Not that I completely agree with this health care bill, but how are the teabaggers or whatever they’re called even around to argue their point? Last I checked they were all too busy beating up homeless and disabled people to come up with any sort of logical arguments.

• Melinda G March 22, 2010 at 11:56 am

No that was the degenerates that Obama gave a free ride to on all his czars plans that beat up the homeless and disabled guys. You know, the ones that were let out on parole early since they are over crowded in the prison’s!

28. Maxii March 22, 2010 at 2:07 am

Congrats Americans.
    You’re one step closer to universal health care and joining the rest of the first world countries.

29. Andrew March 22, 2010 at 2:42 am

There is not such a thing like free health care. Socialists think that making everyone pay for everyones health care will work. It won’t.

• CK March 22, 2010 at 5:17 am

No, it really does work but what do I know i’m from communist United Kingdom.

Anyway, well played America.

• .. really? March 22, 2010 at 6:23 am

Yes, because living in a state that can’t trust you with anything pointy must be fantastic. There was just an event in Nottingham where anyone 13-24 was searched as they got off of buses in case they may be carrying a knife. No cause except.. well, I don’t like the looks of those kids, they clearly must be a danger to society. 200 officers whose only job was to violate privacy rights at random. Sounds like a real fun place to live.

though it must be really convenient for photographs of special moments. Even if you forgot the camera you only need to look at one of the governments and I’m sure you could ask for a copy.

• Jason March 22, 2010 at 6:55 am

These are the top 37 health care systems in the world (with US at 37).
        I kept the countries and their rankings that have universal health care just to prove your wrong.

1 France – has universal health care
        30 Canada – has it
        31 Finland – has it
        32 Australia – has it
        33 Chile – has it
        34 Denmark – has it
        36 Costa Rica – has it
        37 United States of America – DOESNT (but soon will 🙂 .. )

The countries that the US healthcare system is worse than at the moment include, San Marino, Andorra, Malta, Singapore, Monaco, United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Dominica.

This just proves how your wrong, and communistic values do work in society, and that your also loosing to Canada.

• Brian March 22, 2010 at 4:48 pm

how well does it work in the uk …how much does it cost you

• Doug holland March 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Of course it bloody works

30. elrodj March 22, 2010 at 5:20 am

“It’s the end of the world as we know it”, but I don’t feel fine.

• Dan March 22, 2010 at 5:50 am

Well at least now you’ll have health insurance, so you can go get that “don’t feel fine” feeling checked out. Yay for you!

• lisa March 22, 2010 at 7:06 am

Why are we all so deeply divided? The authors of the constitution took such a long time because it was written based on compromise for everyone. The separation of church and state would allow us all freedom. If greed wasn’t ruling the hearts of everyone opposing big government there wouldn’t be such the need for it. Catch a clue!

31. Oliver March 22, 2010 at 6:17 am

Way to go America…. I can see Congress loves socialism…=S

32. Jason March 22, 2010 at 6:19 am

Its nice to see that America’s 37th in the world health system can now join the ranks of the UK.
    I remember reading Republican propaganda a short time ago, stating that if Steven Hawking was on a health care plan such as that of the British, he would have been abandoned and dead long ago.
    Little did they know that Hawking is from the UK, and without the help of the NHS he would have been dead a long time ago (from his own mouth).

I’ve lived in the U.S. and in the U.K, and if your against this reform, you really don’t know the good your missing out on (as well as all the money you’ll save).

33. Charlie Moreau March 22, 2010 at 7:03 am

Who says the Scandinavian health care systems are “successful”? Many people also point to Britain and Canada, saying, “See? THEY have socialized medicine!” To which I reply, “yeah, and they’re not exactly thriving economically, are they?”

The health care system in America does desperately need overhauling, but we’re trading the second worst system for the absolute worst system. When health care is government run, it will be poorly run. Why? Because everything government run is poorly run. Period.

• muchadoaboutstupid March 22, 2010 at 7:14 am

“yeah, and they’re not exactly thriving economically, are they?”

Hey Charlie,

Last time I checked (this morning), wasn’t the Canadian dollar on par with the greenback? Or are you “not exactly thriving” right now? Just checking…

To the rest of the sane commenters above, YAY for healthcare reform! It’s nice to see that there still is some intelligence on your side of the border!

Cheers from Canada!

• Jason March 22, 2010 at 7:55 am

I think I should refer you to the response I made earlier.

The French health care system is universally run and the best in the world … but you say that their part of an absolutely worse system … far worse than anything the US could ever come up with **cough** 37th **cough**.

Come back and criticise when your in the top ten 😉 or perhaps equality in a liberal democracy isnt for you.

34. Michael March 22, 2010 at 9:54 am

Oh my. Do you people sound uninformed. Has anyone actually bothered to ask doctors what they think of the reform? I mean seeing as how they deal with this every single day? no. And do you know how many actually got a chance to voice their opinion on the bill? I think there are 2 or 3 in congress right now and guess what they voted. They voted no last I heard.
    I read earlier a comment that said socialism is a slippery slop to totalitarianism it is. And then I read a comment that made me even more appaled. That even said he would support a totalitarian for government if they gave him socialized health care. The whole point of this country was to NOT be dependent on the government. That is why our country was founded. So yes this will just make even more people dependent on the government.
    And I do like how most people are saying the republicans are opposing this just because it came from obama. While I can’t say that is not true for every republican because some people are stupid like that, the reason most republicans are opposed to it is because it doesn’t make sense with the money. They say they will save money? I want to know how. Everything that I have read says they will cut out waste. If there was waste they would have already cut it out. Ok so let’s move on to preventative medicine I agree preventative medicine is good but in no way is it cheaper. In the long run preventative medicine costs more.
    Also let’s point ou lt one thing that people love bringing up about the uk. You are right they have a socialized health care system for now. But they are becoming increasingly more privitised. And have we also headed the warnings of these countries that have told us not to do socialised health care. No.
    I am not against reform. Socialised health care though is not the way.

• Mike March 22, 2010 at 10:59 am

Michael, although I don’t agree with your statement, THANK YOU for being what seems the first person in this whole thread so far who does not want health care reform to provide one of the more thoughtful opposing arguments. This is how discourse should be!!

• Steve March 22, 2010 at 11:32 am

Dear Micheal and all other ‘nay-sayers’,

what would you do, if a friend of yours is dying, because he cannot afford health care? Would you give him money for medical treatment, if it would save his life and you could afford it? I suppose you would, I guess you’re not a monster. And that’s the whole principle: help the one’s that cannot do it on their own. In no way are you becoming dependant on the government. But others are becoming free to live!

By the way, social and socialism are worlds apart. I have been living in Germany for the last couple of years. It has one of the worlds strongest economies AND a strong social system, incl. health care. And there is no sign for socialism. And privitizations are only marginal.

There are many reasons for a universal health care. For example look at it from an economic point of view…annually 45.000 people dying for no other reason, than not being able to pay for medical treatment, it’s a fact and it’s a shame for the worlds greatest nation. But that is also 45.000 people/year less earning and spending money in the american economy and paying tax to the american government.
      Just think about it…

• thinkofothers March 22, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Hi Michael – AMA, the American Medical Association – THE national organization for doctors – is supportive of this. So yes, someone asked – and they like it overall – not perfect, but they support it.

35. Ole Ole Olson March 22, 2010 at 10:27 am

Editor’s note – Here are News Junkie Post, we try to keep an open discussion forum, but abusive comments and spam (commercial or otherwise) will be deleted. Thank you, please keep the conversation civil.

36. Linda March 22, 2010 at 11:17 am

I used to do a lot of traveling in foreign countries, and a couple of times became very ill. I looked forward to receiving the best medical treatment back in the states because the countries I was in provided mediocre socialized medicine. Now where am I to go to get the best treatment for myself, and my kids? Last night I went to sleep in America, and woke up in a foreign country. I don’t know this country anymore.

• Steve March 22, 2010 at 11:35 am

Can you read? Our health system upto now is only #37 in the world…All “mediocre” socialized health systems are better off!

• Melinda G March 22, 2010 at 11:51 am

It’s spelled “Medicare” and why is a socialized gov’t better off? What country did we pay you to come from and live here????

• thinkofothers March 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Linda, please relax. You will keep your health insurance. It’s the millions of people who have been going without the care you’ve been blessed to have who will now have access to care… when your children hit 18, you may be glad that they can still get coverage under you until they’re 26 – otherwise your grown children could join those “other” uninsured. I couldn’t sleep at night thinking of people dying and suffering without access to basic care… I’ve seen it. I know a woman who suddenly had dizzy spells, couldn’t walk – not diagnosed – she was laid off and lost health insurance, spent all her retirement savings on medical bills. It was not her fault. Finally, we are going to do the “moral” thing in my opinion.

37. Melinda G March 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm

let me guess, I pay for you to sit in that sauna????

• shane March 22, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Melinda, you must be pretty rich if you can pay for everyone in this country to sit around.

• Proud-dem March 22, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Melinda, I really hope you never have the misfortune to be unwillingly unemployed and have to rely on the very same federal government that passed this bill to pay for the unemployment compensation you will undoubtedly file for and collect. Or worse yet, get in a tragically debilitating car accident where all you can do is sit around and collect welfare disability insurance or SSI. Is this country being overrun by retards such as yourself?

38. Shane March 22, 2010 at 12:18 pm

A house divided against itself won’t stand. My friends we have a much larger problem in our country now than health care. I fear this is the beginning of an all out war between our two national parties. We need to find a way to bring cooperation into our government. I can’t believe not even one Republican voted for this bill. What kink of backlash can we expect from big business?

39. gasbecca March 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

At least I will not have to worry that if I loose my job, healthcare will drain my long term assets. A job well done it was high time to deliver rather than letting the party of ‘NO’ with only on intention from the get go to see Obama fail without any heart for the American people. Finally “healthcare for all is here….not for only the previleges as McCain….

40. Andrew March 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Good to see you Americans caught up with the rest of the developed world, and part of the developing world.

41. =] March 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I don’t get why people argue over the health reform, there are millions of people in desperate need of this. If you want to complain about something, complain about the 7.1 trillion dollars we spent on this pointless war and the thousands of lives it took. I like the idea that my tax will be filling steps moving forward and actually saving lives.

• Donnie Setterbo March 23, 2010 at 7:09 am

Amen!

• msimon March 25, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I’m tired of hearing about uninsured people taking advantage of our medical system. I think its costing American tax payers millions and millions of dollars. This Health Reform is a step in the right direction. At least it’s a start and maybe people will be held accountable for themselves. Here is a graphic that says it all…

42. Felix March 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Hi I´m from Germany and I´m honestly shocked how many people are think healthcare will lead to poverty and third world conditions. I think some people need to become more open minded. People should stop being biased , face reality and learn some moral values. You know a human life is more worth then money. Also some of this statements here are just prove the the image of the USA of the last couple years. Fortunately some Americans on here who seem to be smarter with social ideas which gives me hope for the future ( This is not meant to offend all ) so sorry

43. Somedude March 22, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I know that the healthcare system is broken (partially due to this failing economy I’m sure), but is socializing really the answer?……I don’t know. In principle it’s wrong to socialize an institution. But you can’t apply principles to a pragmatic system, namely the U.S Government. “Republicans” are wrong, they just want to leave it alone, even though it’s broken. “Democrats” are wrong they want to socialize it. There aren’t just two choices. I think we are going at this the wrong way, and the problems are rooted in so many different things that you can’t just fix anything such as health care in one swoop.

• Somedude March 22, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Also I do not know which will be the best choice between what the republicans want vs. the democrat, I simply think they are both wrong.

• Ole Ole Olson March 23, 2010 at 4:02 am

I would recommend taking a few minutes to research the fully socialized health care systems in Scandinavian countries (start with a google search). They are completely government run, and excellent. I think it just comes down to the model we emulate if we decide to take that route, but any system that can have the results of Sweden at the far lower cost deserves to be explored, whether it is socialized or not IMHO.

44. Anugoh March 22, 2010 at 5:36 pm

The truth is that the Republicans are anti-people and is only interested in what benefits them and don’t care whether others died or get good education. But they’ve met their Waterloo with the passage of the Healthcare reform bill which they boasted to kill. Now they’re angry and are ready attack anyone who diagrees with them. As they boasted to takeover in Nov and 2012 it may go the other way round when the public they lied to and misinformed, gets to know the truth

45. phox March 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Hamilton called it back in 1787 when he wrote the Federalist Papers. Although, at the time, Alex was trying to persuade New York voters to approve of the newly proposed constitution, his sentiments also apply to what we have been vigorously considering as a nation these past 12 months with regard to a national health care bill.

“This idea will add the inducements of philanthropy to those of patriotism, to heighten the solicitude which all considerate and good men must feel for the event. Happy will it be if our choice should be directed by a judicious estimate of our true interests, unperplexed and unbiased by considerations not connected with the public good. But this is a thing more ardently to be wished than seriously to be expected. The plan offered to our deliberations affects too many particular interests, innovates upon too many local institutions, not to involve in its discussion a variety of objects foreign to its merits, and of views, passions and prejudices little favorable to the discovery of truth.

Among the most formidable of the obstacles which the new Constitution will have to encounter may readily be distinguished the obvious interest of a certain class of men in every State to resist all changes which may hazard a diminution of the power, emolument, and consequence of the offices they hold under the State establishments; and the perverted ambition of another class of men, who will either hope to aggrandize themselves by the confusions of their country, or will flatter themselves with fairer prospects of elevation . . . ”

In short, Alex is pointing out that often, those in power (either political or monetary) will use it to stay there if they can. Regardless of what that desire will do to the common good. Hell, if I my bread and butter relied on a bill NOT passing I would lie cheat and steal to kill it. In this case it looks like philanthropy won. It needs to win from time to time. I’m glad it did. Reducing the number of people sneezing on my lunch is good any way you look at it. 🙂

46. Becca Johnson March 22, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I honestly feel that we should see how this goes before pointing fingers. I mean look at where we are at today…it has just gotten deeper and deeper. Nothing surprises me anymore. Nobody can blame all of this on one person.

47. Jack Robertson March 22, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Well then, a totalitarian government is what you shall have … since you’re “all for it.”

48. Doug holland March 23, 2010 at 1:05 am

It amazes me that these Christian people find it so difficult to share.
    Almost the whole country crosses the road to escape. Guess the religion, just isn’t working.