So Obama Has A Smoking Habit, What’s The Big Deal?

Commentary By Gilbert Mercier, NEWS JUNKIE POST

At the press conference yesterday, the press corp asked more questions about the current status of President Obama’s smoking habit, perhaps more than any other topics. This is a sad statement for the press, and America’s priorities at large.

As an on and off smoker myself for about 35 years, I know a thing or two about the pleasure and addiction that tobacco represents. In my case, I was quite literally addicted to nicotine from birth. My mother smoked when she was expecting me, but that was the mid 1950′s. At the time smoking was sort of cool and sexy.

Today, everyone knows about the great health risks coming from the use of any tobacco products. Tobacco is perhaps one of the most insidious drugs. It can be enjoyable at first, but quite quickly your system and brain circuitry become addicted to nicotine. It becomes closely associated with pleasures, such as a good meal or sex, but it is mainly a stress coping mechanism. It is insidious, any ex-smoker can have a relapse at any giving time.

I managed to stop smoking for about 5 years a few years ago. However, I own a house in New-Orleans. When Katrina’s drama was unfolding, I was in Canada. The amount of stress and uncertainty about my house took me right back to my nicotine addiction.

Nobody in their right mind can advocate for the use of tobacco products, but the crusade mentality of some anti-smoking Nazis today that is prevalent in America and in most of Western Europe is disturbing. Smoking has become a stigma and smokers are now looked down like social pariahs.

Americans are focusing on one product instead of looking into other factors hazardous to their health. Of course, tobacco is bad for you, but so is excessive consumption of read meat, fry food and all the products with a high content of sugar such as soft drinks. Nothing wrong with this “war on tobacco,” but then we should have one on fast food and soda pops.

In the case of President Obama, he apparently decided to quit smoking during the election last year. I am not sure if he succeeded, but it appears that he had a relapse. Should it matter to anyone else beside the President and his family? Absolutely not.

He has arguably the most stressful job on the planet. Smoking is his coping mechanism. In the case of Nixon it was drinking, in the cases of Kennedy and Clinton it was sex.To my knowledge, President Obama was not elected as “anti-smoking-advocate-in-chief.” As an historical reminder, Winston Churchill, the man who successfully steered the UK during WWII, smoked about 10 very big Cuban cigars a day, it did not impaired his judgment or even his longevity for that matter.

We shouldn’t be judging or care so much about this one issue that the president is “struggling” with after all, it is better to have a President with a brain that is craving a cigarette every now and then, as opposed to one with no intellect who couldn’t stop drinking until he found Jesus.

6 Responses to So Obama Has A Smoking Habit, What’s The Big Deal?

1. Vote -1 Vote +1Defend Liberty
    June 25, 2009 at 5:57 am

Our civil liberties are being stripped away and this is what’s in the news? Who the hell cares.

• Gilbert Mercier
      Vote -1 Vote +1Gilbert Mercier
      June 25, 2009 at 8:58 am

Thanks, this is exactly the point I am making.

2. Vote -1 Vote +1kratos
    June 25, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I think it is timing…don’t worry, in two weeks no one will care once we all forget about the atrocious anti-tobacco bill he just signed. And Obama himself said “It’s an interesting human interest story.” ( Well, any human interest story that has to do with the president will be blown out of proportion thanks to our current news climate.

3. Vote -1 Vote +1Vaporizers
    June 26, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Yes America is turning anti smoking which is sad. Everyone should be able to do what they please. At least now there are healthier alternatives for those who are trying to be healthier also.

4. Vote -1 Vote +1John R. Polito
    June 30, 2009 at 7:33 am

If the President’s co-dependency upon smoked and chewed nicotine soon costs him his life, who will you then call a Nazi? Obama volunteered to be a role model for millions of youth, what about them? As for being a stress releaver, hogwash. Nicotine is an alkaloid and stress an acid producing body event that accelerates the elimination of nicotine. We didn’t smoke during stressful situations to relieve the underlying stressful event. We did so to avoid adding the onset of early withdrawal to it. As for Katrina, it didn’t cause your relapse, nicotine did. If stressful situations caused relapse there’d be little use in quitting.

5. Vote -1 Vote +1Jeff C
    June 30, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Wow! Finally someone who agrees with me about Obama’s smoking habit. Who cares! I agree that smoking is a dangerous habit. However, we are individuals with a free will. We can choose what we want to do with our own bodies. Don’t tell me I can’t smoke. Don’t tell me I can’t eat saturated fats. Don’t tell me to exercise. I will do what I damn well want to do to enjoy my life, even if that means shortening it several years. BTW, I am a smoker and a meat and potatos guy. I don’t exercise, and I don’t drink 10 bottles of store bought water a day. (When did this nation get so thirsty?) Folks, life is just to short no matter how you look at it. Even if you are lucky enough to live to be 90, it’s still not enough. Enjoy the time while your here. Anyway, leave Obama alone. He’s not out smoking in the public. If smoking is going to make him a more relaxed President, then let him smoke in peace.