Let’s Teach WalMart A Lesson About Medical Marijuana

It’s always fascinating to watch corporations flail about cluelessly while society is in the throes of epochal change.  One has to go no farther than Starbucks for an example; their recent crash course in societal change involved incurring the wrath of marijuana users, as it turns out a sizeable portion of their target demographic.  Starbucks only took a couple of days to come around after pot users threatened a national boycott after spotting the coffee giant’s logo on a virulently extremist anti-marijuana website.

Huge behemoths like Starbucks and WalMart exercise their corporate policies with the implicit assumption that American society as a whole is in their corner, philosophically speaking.  Playing the middle of the road is just smart business, after all. Nobody gets rich by alienating huge groups of consumers.

But the interesting thing about social change is that sometimes the corporations get left in the dust. Starbucks was careful to make sure that didn’t happen; I’m betting WalMart may not be so smart, if its atrocious labor policies are an accurate marker.

During these periods of rapid and dizzying change – a perfect and current example being the huge shift in American attitudes toward marijuana — major corporations often reveal themselves to be big, dumb, lumbering beasts.  That was exactly what WalMart, notorious for its corporate stance of social conservatism, looked like this week when it summarily sacked a cancer patient who had been “Associate of the Year” for using medical marijuana with his doctor’s recommendation – in Michigan, a state where that is perfectly legal.  WalMart, so far at least, hasn’t budged. But the wave of revulsion and outrage over their treatment of Associate of the Year Joseph Casias hasn’t crested yet, and it’s going to get a lot bigger before it does.

For now, WalMart seems completely oblivious that what just a few years ago was solid political ground under its feet is simply no longer there.  The ritual corporate shaming of marijuana and its users – extending even to legal, medical users – is now so disconnected from science, medicine and mass perception that we can only watch in horror as companies like WalMart mistreat employees, fully confident they’ll get away with it “just like they always have.”

This moralistic and intolerant stance towards medical marijuana patients flies in the face of modern American sensibilities. More than 80 percent of Americans now support the medicinal use of pot.

Casias worked at the WalMart store in Battle Creek, Michigan, for five years, winning employee of the year in 2008 despite suffering from sinus cancer and an inoperable brain tumor.  At the recommendation of his doctor, Casias began using medical marijuana to ease his pain. “It helps tremendously,” Casias said. “I only use it to stop the pain. To make me feel more comfortable and active as a person.”  Then he sprained he knee at work last November.

During the routine drug screening that follows all workplace injuries, marijuana was detected in his system.  Casias showed WalMart managers his Michigan medical marijuana card, but was fired anyway.  “I was told they do not accept or honor my medical marijuana card,” Casias said.

Casias said he had never shown up at work after smoking pot. “No, I never came to work under the influence, ever,” he said. “I don’t think it’s fair. Because I have a medical condition I can’t work and provide for my family?”

WalMart was completely unapologetic. “In states such as Michigan, where prescriptions for marijuana can be obtained, an employer can still enforce a policy that requires termination of employment following a positive drug screen,” said WalMart spokesman Greg Rossiter from company headquarters.  “We believe our policy complies with the law, and we support decisions based on the policy,” Rossiter said.

Casias has been collecting unemployment compensation since getting sacked in November, but this week he got more bad news: Now WalMart is even challenging his eligibility for benefits.  So how do you teach a big, dumb beast? You hurt it in the only way it understands.

It’s time to teach WalMart that mistreating medical marijuana patients isn’t just dumb and cruel; it is also very, very bad for business.  The national WalMart boycott by medical marijuana supporters begins in 5… 4… 3…

Editor’s Note – Legalization Saturday is part of the Progressive Unity Project on News Junkie Post. Each day of the week, look forward to a fresh article written by an expert on a variety of subjects.

Daily Postings:
Eco Monday
Union Tuesday
LGBT Wednesday
Immigration Thursday
Science Friday
Legalization Saturday
Secular Sunday

Please Follow Steve Elliott on Twitter, and The News Junkie Post for all of our articles.

101 Responses to Let’s Teach WalMart A Lesson About Medical Marijuana

+4 Vote -1 Vote +1uberVU - social comments

2. +22 Vote -1 Vote +1Vocal Citizen
    March 13, 2010 at 8:20 am

Beautiful. I have cancelled my Walmart credit card and have moved my prescriptions to CVS Pharmacy. I guess I’ll go somewhere else today, instead of the Walmart trip I’d planned.

BOYCOTT!

Read this, too, and support the effort: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-418890

• +6 Vote -1 Vote +1Soldier
      March 13, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I will not shop Walmart any longer if that is how they treat their employees. They should be ashamed.

• +2 Vote -1 Vote +1Forest
      March 14, 2010 at 11:07 am

I pulled this comment up from lower in the list because it is a great idea and more people need to see it.

The Truth said:
      Take it from an inside source. The best way to get back at them is to hit them where it hurts the most. For example if you want to cost them millions of dollars without breaking any laws I suggest doing the following. Go into a walmart store and pretend to shop. Fill up your cart or carts with a good mix of large and small items then once the cart(s) are full just leave them somewhere int he store and leave. This costs them many man hours to put all this stuff back.

• +2 Vote -1 Vote +1Crow
        March 16, 2010 at 3:03 pm

This is great! Definitely costs them a lot of time and money to replace all the items back on the shelves.

BOYCOTT!!!!

3. -16 Vote -1 Vote +1Pat Martin
    March 13, 2010 at 10:00 am

While I have disagreed with all of Walmart’s policies on social issues, seems like it needs to follow the law in the State. I work in Oregon and we have faced the medical marijuana issue.As long as an employee does not use at work, there is no issue. I believe there are specific other legalities about timing in using dangerous machinery which seems reasonable.

I am not a big fan of Walmart’s products either but with my income level I don’t have to go there. But for a lot of people it is a lifesaver. So there is a connundrum. The poor have few places to go to get products especially food (the food markets are nice but hey I have dropped 100 at them). We need to face the issue in this country of the poor and class issues. Sometimes the views of the middle class of conscience don’t jive with ensuring the necessity of the poor’s needs for food and clothing.

As for Starbuck’s, I know not what their marijuana glitch was but hey the place is just to get overrated and expensive coffee (to which I subscribe) not to make decisions on use of marijuana. Yes, if it is medical; otherwise no. Sorry to be politically incorrect in this forum, but I have seen enough of the use of alcohol and other drugs, and also the stupidity of young pot users in terms of college progress, to sign on to that one.

Sorry, I am going to put my efforts and political thought and energy into getting health care, employment and getting better results from the educational system (I am a college educator) at this time (and the war too).

Pat

• +5 Vote -1 Vote +1Steve Elliott ~alapoet~
      March 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Read the article, Pat.

Medical marijuana is legal in Michigan.

• +5 Vote -1 Vote +1TylerT
      March 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Hello Pat->

I disagree with some of what you mentioned. Regarding your argument about Walmart as a lifesaver, it would seem that you (and others like) are in a nonobligatory position to take a stand for all those people without the option to boycott .

I also feel that it’s a mistake to compare this man’s prescribed medical use to the ‘stupidity of young pot users in terms of college progress’.

Lastly, I’d like to point out that a boycott is more inaction than action, and that it would take less effort to make a conscious decision to shop elsewhere than to write a reply to this article.

I strongly urge you to investigate your conceptions regarding cannabis.

4. -12 Vote -1 Vote +1Zeo Woods
    March 13, 2010 at 10:35 am

Wow, Walmart is a pretty big somebody!

Jes

5. -25 Vote -1 Vote +1John Belushi
    March 13, 2010 at 10:36 am

You misspelled extremist, at least stay sober when you type up one of these things whilst high.

• +6 Vote -1 Vote +1GodKnows
      March 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Wait, what? I thought you were dead JB! Talk about a mistake.

• +24 Vote -1 Vote +1Matt
      March 13, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Saying whilst doesn’t make you seem intelligent, it only furthers the idea that you’re a pompous ass.

6. +13 Vote -1 Vote +1TheOtherGuy
    March 13, 2010 at 11:17 am

I was going to go to WalMart today but I guess I’ll cross that off my list.

7. -66 Vote -1 Vote +1NotTellinYa
    March 13, 2010 at 11:18 am

It’s oh so easy to be on the outside and cry foul but Walmart has a drug policy that’s pretty clear! You get a drug test when you get hired, you’re told that drug use is grounds for termination, and that WILL be tested if there is some injury at work. While I feel for this person the fact is they should have told Walmart before hand and asked what would happen if they used pot. A company with the deep pockets of Walmart is sued every day for some foolishness in the store. Imagine the liability if this guy, knowingly using pot, came to work stoned, or even had it in their system, then had another of their “accidents” only this time involving injury to a customer! Can you say a multi-million dollar settlement? Again, I feel for this guy, but Walmart is the world’s largest company, and employer, and as such as a big, excuse the pun, Target on it’s head for lawyers everywhere. It’s not a person that’s mean, it’s a business, plain and simple. I’m not going to stop shopping there and pay more elsewhere because this guy can’t check the policy first so don’t ask me to pay for his mistake.

• +13 Vote -1 Vote +1Jayson
      March 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Accept they are in violation of state law. They can tell an employee anything they want, that doesn’t mean they can break the law. State Law supercedes any corporate policy. It always has.

• +5 Vote -1 Vote +1Corey
        March 13, 2010 at 2:56 pm

*Except…

• +4 Vote -1 Vote +1TylerT
          March 14, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Accept it too

• -6 Vote -1 Vote +1John5252
            March 17, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Anyone who spells Jason with a Y can’t be expected to have a firm grasp of grammar or syntax.

He also could have meant “you need to accept that they are in violation of state law” but was so angry he skipped a few words.

Anyways, Wal Mart sucks, weed rules ?

• -4 Vote -1 Vote +1Adam
        March 15, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Except that the STATE is in violation of FEDERAL law. In the great chess game of law federal law check mates state EVERY time. Walmart transcends state boundaries. Let’s see how many states are ready to give WALMART the boot because they are in violation.

• Vote -1 Vote +1John5252
          March 17, 2010 at 5:24 pm

We are a group of united states, our laws are meant to be made on the local level.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Chris
          March 18, 2010 at 8:10 am

So u hate marijuana and its users? Is that what you’re getting at? You should be punched in the face.

• -4 Vote -1 Vote +1kevin
        March 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Just because the marijuana he was smoking was legal does not make the actions Wal-Mart took illegal. I don’t entirely agree with what they did, but they were within their bounds. State law says it’s okay for medical use, but alcohol is also legal and you can be fired for coming to work drunk. Both impair you in some way, and can endanger yourself or others. I know he said that he didn’t come to work high, and I’m not saying he did, all I’m saying is that they have a policy that they have the right to enforce. I feel bad for the guy, but nothing illegal happened. Nobody violated state law.

• +12 Vote -1 Vote +1Rosewicket
      March 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm

So, you’re saying that drug use is grounds for termination. It doesn’t mean they have to terminate.

Hypothetically, if he had tested positive for Oxycontin, Demerol, Vicodin, or any number of pills, would he have been fired? What about the people who have accidents with hangovers who test negative for alcohol?

This was a legal drug he was taking. It sounds like a witch-hunt to me.

I’m blown away that they would try to take his Unemployment away; that’s just sick and cruel.

Oh, by the way, he could have consumed marijuana the week before, have relatively no detectable effects, and it still would have shown up on the test! Associate of the Year? This is repulsive.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Lucas
      March 19, 2010 at 2:12 pm

You sir are simply disregarding the information about it being LEGAL times are changing pal and I don’t care if he is high at work on pot because the alternative is PILLS you moron you think thats safer? I think you got a screw loose my friend and you are seriously misinformed about marijuana you should do your research please it speaks for itself.

8. -78 Vote -1 Vote +1sammytaters
    March 13, 2010 at 11:22 am

…Except that longtime marijuana users show signs of psychosis and also customers shouldn’t have to deal with employees that are high and smell like smoke.

• +14 Vote -1 Vote +1Michael
      March 13, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I would love to see an up to date study that provides that information. Anything that show that information was out in the 50s and has been proven wrong by ever scientific study sense. Get your facts straight.

As for people being high at work. I agree, they should be fired.

• +20 Vote -1 Vote +1Jayson
      March 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Wrong Sammy. One small study from Britain says that. 10 large studies from the U.S. say differently. Marijuana does not cause psychosis. It MAY exacerbate feelings of paranoia in someone who is already schizophrenic, or suffering from paranoid personality disorder. As to what customers should and should not have to deal with… well that should be left to each customer. Responsible use doesn’t mean going to work high or smelling like pot.

• +5 Vote -1 Vote +1Rosewicket
      March 13, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Show evidence of this.

• +3 Vote -1 Vote +1chef
      March 14, 2010 at 5:56 am

Yeah…. and long-time bible users show signs of stupidity.

• +5 Vote -1 Vote +1sage
        March 14, 2010 at 9:05 am

Bad example chef, cause i’m pretty sure they do.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Crow
          March 16, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Agreed Sage

• Vote -1 Vote +1John5252
      March 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Cannabidiol (CBD) Has been proven to reduce schizophrenic feelings. Very few legitimate tests are done and this one proved that CBD lowers the chance of a schizophrenic episode.

I can’t speak for weed that is covered in miracle grow or pesticides, but for the good stuff, I’m not worried.

• Vote -1 Vote +1nickymartin
      March 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm

“Except that longtime marijuana users show signs of psychosis…”

In which newspaper or government propaganda poll did you find that little nugget of misinformation?

Also, there was nothing in the article that said he went to work high or smelling of smoke. Stick to the facts, not your representation of them.

9. -38 Vote -1 Vote +1M
    March 13, 2010 at 11:23 am

Another goon rambling about Wal-Mart’s labor.. which has been disproven time and time again. Even Penn and Teller called it out. I don’t like walmart because it is inhabited by people with less teeth than a pack of gum.. but I still don’t feel the need to wrongly call out a company that provides reasonable healthcare and other benefits to its employees. Goon on, goon.

• +7 Vote -1 Vote +1Jayson
      March 13, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Penn and Teller are not… very authoritative. If you are getting your information solely from them… you need to do more research. several of my room mates have worked for walmart… and all of them say that Penn & Teller are full of BS. Walmart does not give reasonable healthcare. As a matter of fact, they force thier employees to see non-doctors when a patient gets injured. My room mates back is completly destroyed because of a work place accident at walmart… and they made him go to a chiropractor instead of an actual medical doctor.

• -16 Vote -1 Vote +1cody
        March 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm

So Penn and Teller are considered a bad source, but your second hand anecdotal knowledge of a single incident with no proof required is somehow better? I don’t think the second hand recounting of tales given to you by several of your roommates with no context can really be considered research.

• +12 Vote -1 Vote +1The 1
          March 13, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I work for walmart, the above statements are not simply slander and most policies in place in a walmart are applied based on the discretion of the store manager, who are not always the most open minded nor fair people on the earth.

10. -36 Vote -1 Vote +1asdf
    March 13, 2010 at 11:25 am

maybe if we get enough pot heads on board we can TAKE DOWN WALMART

yeah, like this will even make a dent…. lol

• Ole Ole Olson
      +10 Vote -1 Vote +1Ole Ole Olson
      March 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Rubbish. People are only trying to change a ridiculous corporate policy, and when 50 million people get together and act, that is a force even the big, evil giant Wal-mart would have to capitulate to.

• +10 Vote -1 Vote +1Candice
        March 13, 2010 at 4:00 pm

It’s not only about being for medical marijuana use or recriational use. What this article is pointing out is that Walmart is breaking the law. They are getting away with it for the same reason anyone gets away with breaking the law…they have the money to do it.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Lucas
          March 19, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Thank you for pointing this out because it is an indisputable FACT that they are breaking the law in firing this man because if he was taking liver killing pain pills he would have kept his job, I don’t care who your are or what you believe that is just stupid.

• +6 Vote -1 Vote +1Ethan
      March 13, 2010 at 9:23 pm

You underestimate the number of ‘potheads’, and there are tons of people who don’t smoke pot who think it should be legalized medicinally…

11. +10 Vote -1 Vote +1bilton
    March 13, 2010 at 11:30 am

You cannot kill the Wal*Mart, speaking its name only makes it stronger.

• +5 Vote -1 Vote +1Michael
      March 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm

We need to get them to say their name backwards. Thats what kills the demon.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Crow
        March 16, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Haven’t you ever seen South Park? It’s a mirror in the Tech-Department that must be broken. But be careful it turns into a black hole!

12. +12 Vote -1 Vote +1bilton
    March 13, 2010 at 11:31 am

Sucks that now that the guy is unemployed the only place he can afford to shop is WalMart

• Vote -1 Vote +1grantzero
      March 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Very True!

13. +13 Vote -1 Vote +1Chris
    March 13, 2010 at 11:40 am

I agree, I have shopped at Walmart for years, its close and convenient. However, as a medical marijuana patient myself, I will no longer do business there, mostly because i dont think they will change their ways of thinking. Its a new world, times are changing.

14. +8 Vote -1 Vote +1mid calf boots
    March 13, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Definitely not a good move by Walmart. I just can’t see how you can turn away someone who is an entirely legitimate marijuana user and a hard worker all the same.

15. +14 Vote -1 Vote +1James Kennedy
    March 13, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I think Wal-mart’s behaviour is disgusting. I mean seriously, what a stupid decision. I’m sure this poor man has enough things on his mind without having to lose his job for no reason.

I have sold all my shares in Wal-mart and I refuse to shop there until there is a change of policy.

16. -23 Vote -1 Vote +1authoriswrong
    March 13, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Too bad Walmart is in the right, and until federal law changes, neither will they. There is already case law regarding this exact subject:

Ross v. Ragingwire Telecommunications, Inc. (2005) C043392

• Ole Ole Olson
      +12 Vote -1 Vote +1Ole Ole Olson
      March 13, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Is this part of the Wal-Mart legal rapid response team? Just curious, because though what they have done may or may not be legal, it is clearly immoral, inhumane, and worthy of a strong boycott.

• +9 Vote -1 Vote +1Rosewicket
      March 13, 2010 at 10:02 pm

By what logic do you deem Walmart’s actions, in the case we’re discussing, “right”? “Right” in what way?

I know Fundamentalist, Holy-Rolling Baptists who are crying “foul” over this decision by Walmart. It’s legal in MI. The poor man is suffering, has been a great employee (who doesn’t miss a few days of work with CANCER?), and is using a drug that helps him rather than just kill pain and knock him out? He could be on drugs ten times stronger! He’s worked all this time?

I don’t see where your your proclamation of “right” comes from…at one time it was “right” under federal law, to chop off the foot of a runaway slave! I’d laugh at you if you didn’t horrify me so much.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Lucas
      March 19, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The President of the United States of America said other wise buddy if you didn’t hear him he made if very clear that medical marijuana is to be a respected medicine even under federal LAW so put that in your pipe and smoke.

17. +21 Vote -1 Vote +1Angry
    March 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Absolutely ridiulous walmart! We live in the 21st century, not the dark ages. Firing someone simply for treating his medical condition by a DOCTOR’s orders is absolutely barbaric. The fact that some people are so dense that they can’t comprehend what is wrong with this situation honestly frightens me.

Seriously, you want to fire someone because the smoke smell may bother other employees? First off marijuana for medical purposes is recommended to be used orally. Second off, if you implemented this you would have to fire everyone who smokes tobacco products.

And the argument that him using medical marijuana on his off hours endangers other employees and customers is completely ridiculous! It makes even less sense that a person who drinks a beer at the end of the day will show up drunk for work.

Come on people, THINK before you speak.

18. +12 Vote -1 Vote +1BurnDownWalmart
    March 13, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Just because it is the status quo does not make it right. Slavery was once legal. It was once not legal for women to vote. Why do people shrug their shoulders and simply say “what they did was legal” whenever the government or corporations blatantly violate our rights?! Firing a person based on their choice of medical treatment is just as evil and damaging as firing a person based on their race, sex, or religion.

It is time to pay for what you’ve done Walmart! It’s time to expose the world to all of the evils that you’ve done.

19. +9 Vote -1 Vote +1Rick
    March 13, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Already easy to boycott Wal Mart. They are a disgusting and nefarious corporation with some of the worst tactics major corps have seen in a while. I’ve been boycotting them for years. Sadly, no matter how much you inform the regular, sorry to say, ignorant bunch of Americans about wal marts tactics, they like to shy away from it because it’s cheap to shop there. Believe me, shopping at wal mart would be much easier for me and would take less out of my small wallet but it’s the principal and I have morals and values that an extra 50 dollars in my pocket cannot take away.

20. -25 Vote -1 Vote +1John
    March 13, 2010 at 1:43 pm

This stuff is bull. I had a similar situation, having depression. The only thing that helps me cope is little boys. So just because I had a few little boys at my home, my work place decided to fire me. They’re a legit treatment. Without them I want to die. Then when my workplace found out I was using them in my own time, not theirs, they fired me under this bullcrap ‘megans law’ thing. I need them!

• +15 Vote -1 Vote +1WalmartGoToHELL
      March 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Stop being so absurd. Using marijuana in your own home harms absolutely nobody. Marijuana is not physically addictive, it is not inherently toxic to any part of the body, and is impossible to overdose on. You do not even have to smoke it, you can avoid the dangers of smoking by cooking it into a tea or a cookie! The only people who should not use marijuana are those with or with predispositions toward any form of mental illess. Other than that marijuana is completely harmless and non-toxic. It’s a HELL of a lot healthier than either alcohol or cigarettes could hope to be, that’s for sure!

• -19 Vote -1 Vote +1John
        March 13, 2010 at 3:27 pm

lmao. my bad habits not as bad as other peoples bad habit so i’m better than them.

• +6 Vote -1 Vote +1Rosewicket
          March 13, 2010 at 10:05 pm

We aren’t talking about recreational use, you troll.

• -10 Vote -1 Vote +1John
            March 14, 2010 at 12:34 am

: ) me either i use little boys for my depression

• +4 Vote -1 Vote +1Soldier
      March 13, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Your a complete fool John.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Lucas
      March 19, 2010 at 2:27 pm

your sick and when I become a cop I will bust your ass bet on it. Not to mention your a retard for even trying to compare the use of a legal use of a healthy medicine compared to what is offered now and you have the ignorance to compare it to child molestation you sir are a sorry sad sad little man and I hope god saves your wicked soul.

21. +9 Vote -1 Vote +1DW
    March 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I guess I’m going to start going to K-Mart now. Wal-Mart is becoming a monopoly anyway! Rich Pricks!

22. +5 Vote -1 Vote +1Forest
    March 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Rick sums it up well. Greed, from both corporate America AND the large majority of its citizens is what perpetrates the style of business being done by Wal Mart. Drive down prices on every sort of crap imaginable, by making it in China, while keeping the profit margins high to suit the greedy millionaires who never seem to have enough.

I have never, and never will, step foot in a Wal Mart. They have singlehandedly destroyed millions of decent paying U.S. jobs and in the process developed their own clientele who now work for minimum wages in crap jobs. Scum of the earth!

23. +5 Vote -1 Vote +1The Truth
    March 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm

• +4 Vote -1 Vote +1F***WALMART
      March 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Good idea. I also plan on posting papers up in the bathroom stalls to inform customers about how Walmart violates its workers rights. It’s time to declare war on Walmart.

Also, to everyone saying Walmart is cheap: Sure it’s cheap, but it’s also poor quality. I can’t remember how many times that I have bought something from Walmart only to find out that it’s defective. And when I return it to the store, they put it right back on the shelves. They don’t care that they’re giving you defective goods whatsoever. All they care about is the all-mighty dollar: employees and customers can screw it

• +1 Vote -1 Vote +1Rosewicket
      March 13, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Wow! This is a great idea! Count me in!

24. +4 Vote -1 Vote +1Christine
    March 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I have already been boycotting WalMart for years. I guess this is just one more reason to keep it up.

25. +4 Vote -1 Vote +1mrniceguy8252
    March 13, 2010 at 3:57 pm

this guy is suffering and he was a good worker leave people alone, you don’t have to smoke it you can use other methods so you lame a$$ customers don’t have to smell it “not intended for most people”. Federal law will change soon enough. f^%K walmart and all its ceo’s. I feel bad for all of there employee’s you all deserve better. see everyone at the protest tomorrow in front of walmart in Battle Creek. to everyone against medical marijuana think about it this way we hold the key to cure your family members cancer, look at them and say you don’t care. look it up “rick simpson oil” google it get educated

26. +4 Vote -1 Vote +1Candice
    March 13, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Yes, Walmart is completely wrong for taking the actions they took.
    Yes, Walmart is convenient and inexpensive to shop.
    No, they are not the only place that provides cheap clothes and food.
    I have found the same deals at Old Navy, JCPennys, Target, Trader Joes,
    Pathmark, Price Chopper, etc.
    No, I’m not a pot user.
    Yes, I will boycott them until they have to open under a new name to get
    business.

27. +2 Vote -1 Vote +1J. Porterman
    March 13, 2010 at 4:22 pm

As I have stated in one of my other posts, I am currently a MM user. When I say a MM user, that means to me that I might smoke the equivalent of a Marijuana Cigarette in one month. So, in the world of MM smokers I really don’t even count. But when it comes to a Voter, or an advocate, I am all for the use of MM. I used to get all of my Medications at Wal-Mart, and ironically just today I was thinking about changing pharmacies where I get my regular medications. After reading this article, I can say that if this is the outcome of what they say as to they are following the law, then it is time for me to move on.

“The voice of one is just loud, the voice of many, carries change!”
    SWS

I for one never thought I would have to use MM, however when given the choice of MM or Morphine….I will take the MM. It is far less harmful and less addictive. (Ironically the Dr.’s don’t really tell you how severe the withdraw from Morphine can really be, let alone the pain of everyday use.

I for one will end all business with Wal-Mart.

28. -22 Vote -1 Vote +1douchebag
    March 13, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Walmart is cheap. Marijuana is for pussies. Go to hell.

• +4 Vote -1 Vote +1Forest
      March 13, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Tosser!

• +2 Vote -1 Vote +1Billy B. T.
        March 15, 2010 at 11:20 pm

tosser. i barely know her

• -1 Vote -1 Vote +1Lucas
      March 19, 2010 at 2:30 pm

least you got your name right numbnutz I hope you don’t populate the world please get castrated.

29. -4 Vote -1 Vote +1bruce
    March 13, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Huge behemoths like Starbucks and WalMart exercise their corporate policies with the implicit assumption that American society as a whole is in their corner, philosophically speaking. Playing the middle of the road is just smart business, after all. Nobody gets rich by alienating huge groups of consumers.

Too bad Obama does not understand this too.

30. +3 Vote -1 Vote +1Me
    March 13, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Ive already started the boycott. Just one more reason not to go to walmart, and most real shoppers know their prices are higher as of recent anyway. Find mom and pop shops.

31. +6 Vote -1 Vote +1Mike from MEL
    March 13, 2010 at 8:16 pm

It doesn’t surprise me that Wal-Mart would do this.
    As for all the anti-marijuana folks leaving ignorant comments like “Wal-mart customers don’t deserve to smell smoke” or “we don’t need stoned employees”… You people are ridiculous, your stupidity is impressive. Here is a question for you: What about alcohol? I mean alcohol is a dangerous, ADDICTIVE and easily abused substance.. So dangerous in fact that many, MANY people die as a result of alcohol everyday. Therefore, if it’s true that people who smoke marijuana are always high especially at work, then I say that anyone who drinks alcohol must always be drunk and most definitely at work… After all Alcohol is highly addictive and most modern research suggests that marijuana is not addictive. We all know the majority of people who drink are not always drunk and it’s obvious marijuana users are not always high either. As for that customers and smoke oder comment… ROFL followed by LMAO and then another LOL. Do you know what a cigarette is? I would hope so because 1 in 5 Americans smoke them. And what’s that? They smell like smoke.. WOW!! I wonder how many employees at an average Wal-Mart smoke cigarettes? Think about it.
    For the people supporting the policy of Wal-Mart to terminate the guy for failing a drug screening… This guy uses Marijuana as a prescribed medicine. Did you know that most drug tests screen for Barbituates, Xanax, morphine and many other prescription narcotics. So why does the guy who fails a drug test for his prescribed marijuana deserve to be terminated and the guy who has a prescription for pain killers gets to keep his job? Again you logic fails. Side note, people who take these other prescribed narcotics are at work and even operating vehicles while under the influence of these far more powerful drugs.

• +2 Vote -1 Vote +1Heywood
      March 14, 2010 at 1:18 pm

“And finally, to the people who claim potheads are terrible workers. I can guarantee you there are many marijuana users out there, like this man, who can work circles around someone who doesn’t smoke..”

Its true. When I was addicted to pot I worked my ass off and did as much as I could to make sure I could afford to keep smoking it.

GREEN POWER!!

32. -13 Vote -1 Vote +1Brian Benson
    March 14, 2010 at 5:06 am

As a customer of Wal-Mart I can wholeheartedly agree with their policy to keep drug abusers out of a store that embarces family values and conservatism.

I want a place wher e I know my children are safe to walk around the shop with me, and to know that this man could be working there with his drug addiction would mean that I would have to stop shopping there

why cant we have a place that is safe for everybody and without the threat of drugs around every corner?!?!

I commend Wal-Mart on their stance and that they are willing to stand up to yet another degenerate who preys upon the overliberalisation of our healthcare system in order to further their own drug habit

these individuals invariably suffer from certainl mental deifficecies and i have heard of MANY instances on the news in fact there was a special on fox only the other week about how people have been driven to murder/suicide for drugs so why don’t we boycott the shops that allow drug abuser staff and make the world a better place for our children???/

• +1 Vote -1 Vote +1epic
      March 14, 2010 at 8:41 am

lol …your education(or lack thereof) is showing itself…maybe you need you free your mind from you tired opinions based on lies…you’re hurting yourself and your community being so ignorant

• +3 Vote -1 Vote +1Forest
      March 14, 2010 at 12:58 pm

May God give you an inoperable brain tumour that racks your head with pain! Then let’s see how fast you judge others for their choices! The reality is, that just like any other drug which your God put on this earth, marijuana can help alleviate some human suffering.

Why are religious, conservative bigots like you so fast to judge everyone else by your so called “moral” standards? Have you ever consumed an alcoholic drink? The hypocrites that you all are seem oblivious to the fact that alcohol is also a drug, one that has wreaked far more havoc on this earth than pot ever has!

Read some science on the matter and maybe you can crawl out of that cave you live in someday.

• +4 Vote -1 Vote +1Phil Colin S.
        March 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Forest is right. Marijuana is less bad for you than alcohol so it should be legalized too.

33. Vote -1 Vote +1Takato Zaki
    March 14, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Before I start I would like to make it clear that I support Medical Mariguana. I have, however, never smoked Mariguana, as such any bias I have is minimal. I believe Wal-Mart firing that man was wrong, and those calling him a drug abuser, are wrong.

With that said, I think your cause is noble, I think that ultimately this is futile. At most your going to effect a thousand people to boycott Wal-Mart.

The best thing for this individual to do would be to sue Wal-Mart. That will send a stronger message to Wal-Mart, then simply losing a couple hundred customers.

Also let’s not wish brain tumours, or any kind of suffering on any one who does not share our beliefs. It doesn’t say much about the human race in general when we stoop to that level of immaturity.

• +1 Vote -1 Vote +1Forest
      March 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Takato:

And where will this poor man get the money to sue WalMart? WalMart faces bigger opponents in court all the time and don’t bat an eyelash. Be realistic in your suggestions.

My first two lines, to which your last paragraph relates, while not being “kind”, are trying to point out to these narrow minded bigots that they were not put on this earth to judge the actions of others and to try to make them see that the shoe could someday be on the other foot. No need to over dramatize my point.

34. +1 Vote -1 Vote +1Ed
    March 14, 2010 at 1:49 pm

More than this needs to be done, Go to Wal-Mart pick up a cart full of stuff go to the checkout put it on the belt then walk out. Inform a member of management on the way out why you did it.

35. Vote -1 Vote +1Warren
    March 14, 2010 at 4:17 pm

My wife and I are IN .. no more shopping at Wal-mart. And we will continue NOT BUYING anything marketed by Kellogg (dropped Michael Phelps sponsorship for smoking pot)

36. -2 Vote -1 Vote +1nellie
    March 14, 2010 at 4:45 pm

has seriously not one single person here ever heard of workers comp insurance? look it up.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Forest
      March 14, 2010 at 4:57 pm

mmmmm . . . . Nellie, did you not see the second last paragraph of the article?? He stands to lose the benefit he has now because WalMart doesn’t feel he should have it.

• Vote -1 Vote +1nellie
        March 14, 2010 at 5:00 pm

workers comp insurance is something a corporation has to have, and normally they have to belong to a drug testing program to maintain those benefits. there are a LOT of companies out there run by people who smoke pot themselves, but have to implement drug screen programs. it probably was not actually walmart’s decision. like i said, look it up.

• Vote -1 Vote +1Lucas
          March 19, 2010 at 2:44 pm

You are correct however it is a crooked practice that is contributing to the considerable unemployment rate. Not to mention that many states that have legalized it have also enacted fines for people who don’t view it as a real medicine. Wal mart should be fined and sued this is wrong and morally against better judgment from anyone not just walmart.

37. -1 Vote -1 Vote +1Chris
    March 15, 2010 at 8:39 am

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. In states, such as Michigan, where prescriptions for marijuana can be obtained, an employer can still enforce a policy that requires termination of employment following a positive drug screen.

We believe our policy complies with the law and we support decisions based on the policy.

Sincerely,
    Walmart Customer Care

38. Vote -1 Vote +1Adam
    March 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm

As much as I appreciate this man’s plight, WALMART has a policy, that I am certain this man was aware of prior to his employment. Additionally, regardless of what laws a state choses to enact, WALMART is compliant with federal law. Federal law checks state law every time. In the instance of a interstate entity such as this, they can not be expected to comply with both state and federal laws that are in direct conflict with one another. They have to chose one. Backing federal law (regardless of which way the current popur winds are blowing) is the wise decision. No state is going to rabble rouse WALMART for complying with federal law. To do so would only be to invite the federal hammer upon them.

• +2 Vote -1 Vote +1Lucas
      March 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I refer you to read the President’s statement on this subject where he states that Federal employees will no longer prosecute MM users because they are in compliance with State law Which if you have never read the CONSTITUTION protects the state from this law because it states clearly that it is up to the state the federal government has been in the wrong all along and people like you are making it possible I implore you to research further into this issue because you are wrong.

39. Vote -1 Vote +1bnymellon-lies
    March 18, 2010 at 6:11 am

I wish I could get medical mj in my state to help treat my bipolar disorder. I got fired from my job at The Bank of New York Mellon for engaging in the same activities as my coworkers, the only difference is that I’m bipolar. BNY Mellon classified me as a direct threat due to my disability. What made it worse was when they lied about the circumstance of my termination and mischaracterized my activities. See more at my website:

40. Vote -1 Vote +1Yo Seriously
    March 19, 2010 at 9:01 pm

walmart doesnt understand how strong the weed nation is , i used to love walmart but no matter how much i do , this has to be boycotted

41. Vote -1 Vote +1Aight stop
    March 19, 2010 at 9:05 pm

oh hey buddy over at customer care stfu guess what , were complying with satate law and federal law by boycotting you so eat it, you didnt even say sorry or i hope you get better , you just judge him by what medicine he decides to use to alleviate pain

42. +1 Vote -1 Vote +1Walmart Sucks
    March 21, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Walmart sucks anyways. Lets smoke mother nature’s gift.

43. +1 Vote -1 Vote +1Dave
    March 22, 2010 at 12:29 am

I love going to Walmart high, haha I will just go to a different grocery store to find my munchies. LEGALIZE MARIJUANA and also F*** Wal*Mart!!!