Runaway Algorithms

Feature image from Techpil.com

By Ron Steinman

Recently, Spain, a member of the European Union that has strict privacy laws, told Google to stop cataloging information about 90 of its citizens who filed complaints against the search engine giant. These 90 people are suing Google for what they call an invasion of privacy. Why is this important? It is only 90 people, you say. These people say, and Spain agrees, that individuals have “the right to be forgotten on the Web.” Google is facing suits in Switzerland, the Czech republic and Germany. These countries are also upset with Google for its Street View feature where its cameras roam cities and photograph every street the camera sees. According to recent polls in Europe, most people want their privacy protected. In the United States, Web sites are springing up that will enable users, for a fee, to wipe out as best they can personal information individuals want kept secret. For Europeans that is not enough. Factions on all sides of the fight at home and abroad are taking up strong positions to combat or to protect what each believes is its right to privacy or freedom of information. There are no easy answers until someone, a person or beyond that, an institution gets hurt. Google as usual is not going away without a fight.

In response, Google says collecting much of its information is out of its hands. That is hard to believe. It comes down to this: Google thinks, and here I quote The New York Times, “ that search engines are not responsible for the information they corral from the Web.” Pause. Please read that again to get the full effect of that quote. Google is saying that similar to a vacuum cleaner, its algorithms pick up everything in their path indiscriminately and let the chips fall where they may. It is one thing to create algorithms. It is another to refuse to take reasonability for your creation. We mostly must now watch with amusement as Google dissembles its way out of taking responsibility for what it collects willy-nilly when its search engines surf the Web. Is Google dishonest? I do not know. But I think that Google is hostage to its own science, and the giant it is revels in it.

Google has been skirmishing for years with The European Union because that august body believes that Google engages in some practices that are invasions of privacy. Keep in mind that countries in Europe have a take and a history different from ours in the States about what privacy means to the individual. Europeans are far more protective of their right to privacy than we are. Individual countries in Europe have longer histories of repression than they do of democracy. As these histories recede, I can understand why they do not want outsiders invading their public and private lives.

This, then, is about Google and responsibility. It is also about A.I, artificial intelligence. More about that in a moment. I do not know if Google really wants to take over and ultimately rule the world, or at least the Internet, but what I am about to relate has to do with algorithms and how sometimes they have a mind of their own – at least according to the folks in Mountainview. We are no longer in the land of the unthinkable. We try to have reason play a role in how we live, but, it, too, is more often than not, an illusion. Take this as a warning.

I am sure we are familiar with the saying, “The Dog Ate My Homework,” the age-old excuse people use to blame outside forces for a personal failure. It is not my job, boys will be boys, and one excuse is as good as another are variations on the theme of refusing to take responsibility for one’s actions. This time, out of the mouth of the monolith known as Google, I can add a new saying to the growing lexicon of excuses — the algorithm did it. Using this excuse will now absolve all of us from future errors and failures. We can now blame a man-made tool for doing the unexpected.

A.I. or artificial intelligence is one of the great playthings of science fiction. Writers take the idea of making a manufactured robot into a “being” that has a self-aware mind. More than self-awareness, fantasists imbue these man-made creatures with the ability to make decisions selectively. Usually these are humanoid figures cybernetically enhanced to think and act on their own. If true in real life, we would end up with a new slave class or be enslaved ourselves. The dangers are blatant. But give credit where credit is due. It takes a vivid imagination to create scenarios, usually in the future, whether near or far, where we as humans craft beings who can duplicate how we think, how we laugh and cry, basically how our emotions function without the prodding of complicated software. Imaginative or speculative fiction has become a serious part of our consciousness. Everywhere I turn these days there is another creative attempt to make A.I. a reality but it is always just a dream. Isaac Asimov’s robot novels. Robert Heinlein’s speculations. William Gibson’s near future fantasies, to name just a few of many in the wide-ranging genre. There are a host of other writers, producers, directors, filmmakers too numerous to list. Everyone has a favorite. Novels. Short stories. TV. Movies. Video games. Star Wars. Droids, everywhere droids. 2001: A Space Odyssey. Star Trek. Alien. Avatar. Battlestar Galactica. Transformers. The Matrix. I Robot. Dr. Who. Dune. And my favorite group think creation from Star Trek, The Borg, a trope that is a mainstay of Star Trek:The Next Generation and Star Trek:Voyager.

More importantly, smart scientists in major labs are spending a lot of money and time in an effort to replicate how the human mind works. When I say replicate, I really mean how the mind functions and grows ultimately on its own. Humanoids need not apply. Despite what Google says about its independent algorithm and how it injudiciously collects information, I do not believe A.I is possible, no matter how many highly intelligent minds are at work trying to make it happen. Even a hard-nosed skeptic like myself does not believe that such a surprise will shock us awake in the real world.

The real world demands that we have rules governing our right to wipe out what we want about us on the Web. By the fall, we may discover that Europe is leading the way. This does not mean similar ideas will follow here in America, but I will be waiting anyway, even if impatiently.

Editor’s Note: Ron Steinman is executive editor and a columnist for The Digital Journalist and The Digital Filmmaker. An award-winning producer for NBC News and NBC’s Today Show, he served as bureau chief in Saigon during the Vietnam war, and later as bureau chief in Hong Kong and London. At ABC News Productions, he produced documentaries for A&E, TLC, the History Channel and Discovery. He is currently an independent documentary producer, director and writer through his company Douglas/Steinman Productions. He is the author of eight books, including “Inside Television First War: A Saigon Journal”, that details how NBC News covered the war in Vietnam.

89 Responses to Runaway Algorithms

1. Johnny Cole September 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Rather educative bless you, I’m sure your audience may very well want a lot more reviews similar to this keep up the excellent hard work.

2. make money results work home September 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Exceedingly good thank you, It is my opinion your current audience would likely want a lot more items like this continue the great content.

3. Marcus Cole September 8, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Astonishingly interesting bless you, I believe your visitors might possibly want a good deal more stories like that carry on the good effort.

4. Tim Cole September 9, 2011 at 12:09 am

Exceedingly beneficial appreciate it, I believe your audience might possibly want more stories of this nature carry on the good content.

5. Andrew Anderson September 9, 2011 at 12:17 am

Awfully informative thanks, I believe your current followers would most likely want a good deal more reviews of this nature continue the excellent work.

6. gerry axlson September 9, 2011 at 8:51 am

Rather useful thank you, I do believe your trusty visitors might probably want a lot more stories along these lines continue the good work.

7. Johnny Anderson September 9, 2011 at 9:47 am

Highly educative thanks, I think your current audience might just want way more well written articles along these lines keep up the excellent hard work.

8. John Anderson September 9, 2011 at 11:06 am

Particularly challenging bless you, I presume your followers might possibly want significantly more blog posts like this continue the excellent work.

9. John Jefferson September 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

Fantastically insightful thanks, I reckon your current audience could very well want further writing along these lines carry on the great hard work.

10. rick peterson September 9, 2011 at 11:45 am

Particularly enlightening appreciate it, I reckon your current readers will probably want a good deal more articles along these lines continue the great effort.

11. Gabriel Jefferson September 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Exceedingly good many thanks, I presume your trusty followers will probably want considerably more items along these lines carry on the great effort.

12. Michael Jefferson September 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Enormously good thanks, I’m sure your audience will probably want a great deal more stories of this nature maintain the excellent effort.

13. Gabriel Cole September 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Particularly enlightening bless you, I’m sure your visitors would most likely want far more reviews along these lines continue the great hard work.

14. Tim Cole September 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Fantastically entertaining bless you, I believe your trusty subscribers will probably want further reviews like this continue the excellent effort.

15. Michael Jefferson September 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Surprisingly useful thank you, I believe your trusty subscribers could possibly want far more writing such as this carry on the excellent work.

16. Johnny Smith September 9, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Genuinely illuminating thanks, I reckon your followers may perhaps want a great deal more items like this continue the excellent effort.

17. Andrew Jefferson September 9, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Surprisingly good appreciate it, I believe your trusty audience might probably want further information of this nature keep up the excellent content.

18. Michael Jefferson September 9, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Extraordinarily insightful many thanks, I believe your followers would definitely want far more items like that carry on the good effort.

19. John Smith September 10, 2011 at 1:29 am

Incredibly beneficial many thanks, It is my opinion your trusty readers may want considerably more reviews like that maintain the good content.

20. Johnny Anderson September 10, 2011 at 4:36 am

Incredibly insightful thanks, It looks like your audience might possibly want considerably more information of this nature carry on the excellent content.

21. Michael Jefferson September 10, 2011 at 4:53 am

Really enlightening thanks, I believe your current audience could very well want significantly more information like this keep up the good work.

22. Gabriel Anderson September 10, 2011 at 6:09 am

Awfully educative cheers, It is my opinion your subscribers may want far more writing such as this carry on the excellent hard work.

23. John Jefferson September 10, 2011 at 8:06 am

Particularly useful bless you, I presume your subscribers may perhaps want more content like this maintain the great hard work.

24. Tim Anderson September 10, 2011 at 9:40 am

Really illuminating thanks, I think your current audience would probably want a great deal more items such as this carry on the great hard work.

25. Pingback: manifesting wealth

26. matrixs matrix September 10, 2011 at 10:43 am

Enormously revealing cheers, I believe your audience would most likely want way more well written articles like this continue the excellent effort.

27. Gabriel Anderson September 10, 2011 at 11:57 am

Awfully educational thanks, I think your trusty readers could perhaps want more items like this maintain the good content.

28. John Cole September 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Truly challenging thank you, It is my opinion your followers could perhaps want way more content like this continue the excellent effort.

29. John Anderson September 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Extremely useful thanks, I do believe your visitors may perhaps want far more writing like this continue the great content.

30. Andrew Smith September 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Exceedingly illuminating appreciate it, It is my opinion your current followers would possibly want further reviews along these lines carry on the good hard work.

31. Tim Smith September 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Tremendously helpful bless you, I presume your trusty audience would likely want even more well written articles of this nature keep up the good content.

32. John Smith September 11, 2011 at 12:39 am

Very helpful bless you, I think your trusty readers would certainly want a lot more reviews such as this keep up the great work.

33. Johnny Smith September 11, 2011 at 2:06 am

Enormously useful thank you, I think your trusty visitors would definitely want considerably more information like this maintain the good work.

34. John Smith September 11, 2011 at 4:28 am

Fantastically educative bless you, I reckon your visitors might just want far more reviews similar to this continue the good content.

35. Gabriel Cole September 11, 2011 at 7:09 am

Enormously useful thanks, It looks like your current subscribers would probably want considerably more articles of this nature continue the great content.

36. Gabriel Anderson September 11, 2011 at 8:19 am

Enormously helpful bless you, There’s no doubt that your audience would certainly want way more writing along these lines carry on the excellent work.

37. John Anderson September 11, 2011 at 8:49 am

Enormously revealing many thanks, I presume your readers might probably want even more posts along these lines keep up the good work.

38. John Cole September 11, 2011 at 9:07 am

Really good thank you, I believe your trusty visitors will probably want a good deal more blog posts of this nature keep up the good hard work.

39. John Cole September 11, 2011 at 11:17 am

Very challenging appreciate it, I think your subscribers could perhaps want significantly more writing along these lines keep up the excellent content.

40. Gabriel Cole September 11, 2011 at 11:34 am

Particularly enlightening thanks, I think your readers could quite possibly want a lot more writing like this carry on the great hard work.

41. Andrew Cole September 11, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Particularly enlightening bless you, I do believe your current subscribers may want a good deal more articles like that maintain the excellent effort.

42. Tim Anderson September 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Genuinely informative thank you, I think your current visitors might possibly want a good deal more stories of this nature continue the excellent effort.

43. Pingback: data entry jobs from home

44. Andrew Jefferson September 12, 2011 at 11:22 am

Surprisingly educational many thanks, I believe your current visitors may possibly want a lot more well written articles such as this keep up the great effort.

45. John Jefferson September 12, 2011 at 11:58 am

Exceedingly illuminating bless you, I do believe your readers would definitely want a whole lot more well written articles similar to this continue the excellent content.

46. Andrew Cole September 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Surprisingly helpful many thanks, There’s no doubt that your visitors may possibly want even more well written articles of this nature maintain the great effort.

47. John Jefferson September 12, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Extremely revealing appreciate it, I think your current readers may possibly want even more stories such as this maintain the great hard work.

48. Michael Smith September 12, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Astonishingly educative cheers, I presume your current audience would certainly want a lot more items like this maintain the great content.

49. Gabriel Jefferson September 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Surprisingly educative cheers, I believe your audience might want considerably more blog posts such as this maintain the great content.

50. Michael Anderson September 12, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Genuinely entertaining thanks, It looks like your current visitors may well want a great deal more stories of this nature maintain the good work.